Making Bacon - Round 2

Chronos

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Even though my first effort was filled with a lot of bumps and I wasn't thrilled with the results - I'm doing it again!

Got a pork belly at the butchers today - 16lbs worth. It's a lot easier now that I've got a scale and all the ingredient ratios, including salt (which I forgot last time).

I've measured out the ingredients tonight and will start the effort first thing in the morning.

I'm really hoping it goes a lot better this time.

Sound great!:thumb: Got about the same amount in the fridge myself ,followed Bbqgeekess recipe from YetiDave.This is from a Tamsworth pig i raised,half of it anyway i let the butcher do the other half. This is my first go around " makin bacon" ,today is day seven but not going to do anything with it till Sunday after church.Tossed in a cup of maple syrup yesterday in half the holding bags as an after thought.:doh: Will coat some pepper on some slabs for the 24 hr (or less)drying part of the process.What extras are you putting in for flavor?

Update 7 days later

I was on a business trip all week and asked my wife to flip the bacon every day, but it seems she only did it 2 out if seven days. The bacon is still floppy though there's a decent amount of moisture in the bag.

Temp was colder than expected. Seems like closer to 36 degrees, so I'm thinking the curing is moving slower than expected.

I've flipped and massaged and will give it another 2 days. Upped the temp a little to get it closer to 40 degrees.

Back