Sous vide question

I've started searing chucks off first, vac seal, 130 for no less than 24 HR 36 seems optimal for "steak" texture, then dry/season and sear again.

Plus it kills off some of the surface bacteria before going into the tub.

I'm mixed on adding butter/herbs for long sous vide cooks.

I too couldn't resist the Mothers Day discount and free shipping and had been wanting for a long time. How is stuff still safe to eat when cooked in the danger zone for more than four hours?

I think it is easy to cook too long. Any thing over 48 hours makes the meat mushy. I would start with 8 hours then build up and see what you like. Especially with a good looking piece of meat like your picture.

Leftover sous vide chuck roast

Sliced thin, added to caramelized onion, add a little au jus, stuff the filling in a grilled cheese sandwich.

No pics, but it happened.

Looks great.
So far I think pork chops are my sous vide favorite. Try bone-in thick ones with the same quick sear at the end. Unbelievably tender and juicy...

Sous vide is always fun. Check out the modernist kitchen on youtube! They sous vide a steak, then give it a liquid nitrogen bath to freeze the outlayer, then sear it. A little extreme, but fun to watch!

I have also bought the Anova and tried some beef on 130. 1 for 4 hours and 1 for 30 hours. But they were way more well done than the ones on the pictures... Any idea how thats possible? (it also came out green but I saw more people who had that.)

More leftovers

Grilled sub

Peppers, onions cheeses and lettuce

I love thin sliced roast beef. Im gonna have to try some other cuts this way.

I have also bought the Anova and tried some beef on 130. 1 for 4 hours and 1 for 30 hours. But they were way more well done than the ones on the pictures... Any idea how thats possible? (it also came out green but I saw more people who had that.)

I had similar issues.

Try chilling the meat in an ice cold water bath, while still in the plastic, before searing.

I seared on the WGA really short. But it was very well done. I'l try chilling it next time.
Because of the green colour and taste we only eat a little bit.

On serious eat they don't recomend to sous vide it lower than 130 for a longer time.
Somebody ignores that advice and do it at lower temps?
I'm tempted to do it at 120 for 2-2,5 hours to try if I like that more.

I seared on the WGA really short. But it was very well done. I'l try chilling it next time.
Because of the green colour and taste we only eat a little bit.

On serious eat they don't recomend to sous vide it lower than 130 for a longer time.
Somebody ignores that advice and do it at lower temps?
I'm tempted to do it at 120 for 2-2,5 hours to try if I like that more.

Still new at this so someone who knows more can explain but i think for short cooks, under 4 hrs, under 130 is ok.

Back