ninja cooks: brisket, fat cap up

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I wasn't gonna buy a brisket I swear. I was just window shopping I mean it. There were 3 in the case. 2 selects, one was stiff and rigid, the other was decent. I'd say a 6 or 7 on my floppyness scale. The other was a choice and she was loose. I'd give her a 9 flop rating. For me this is the number one indicator of a good brisket, I don't even look at the grade first. I had a long week and needed to relax so I justified the purchase as therapeutic.

Pretty standard cook for me. My standard rub, mustard slather, cherry wood on the stick burner.

I am doing one thing different, something I've never done before. I'm cooking this brisket fat cap up.

Was it a mistake? Only time will tell.

Oh No! No mistake there! I like the bark that forms Fat Cap up. Those sugars in the fat....., sorry, just drooled on my phone.....

Are you wrapping in paper, or foil?

I'll wrap in butcher paper when its ready.

As it gets close i ramp down the pit temp. I run close to 300 most of the cook but go to 250 after the stall and by the time i pull it im around 225.

I cooked fat cap up for years in my offset before I found this site. Never caused any issues. Now cooking hot then low that's just crazy:crazy:

That puddle of fat used to be my sign that it was ready to wrap. Dang that looks good! Makes me want to fire up the offset and cook it upside down.

Well its been on for 6 hrs. Time for the crazy ramp down. I use my fancy indoor electric smoker for this. 250 til she loosens up some than 225 for the last hr or so

Slyrp "", Slyrp ", Slyrp"! Keep trying to say something, but the slobber keeps getting all over the keyboard, making it herd to tipe!

Blessings,

Omar

Back