Taking my cooks to the next level....

ChetPunisher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a new stick burner/smoker. I was wondering what people move to from the kamado? I don't compete and would using for backyard and special events. I was looking at the Yoder Cheyenne. Should I look at something else? What would you move to? I started on the CharGriller Pro with side box and moved to the Akorn. Love the efficiency, but not getting as much smoke flavor... Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Yoder makes great smokers and it would be hard to go wrong with one. Depending on your budget you may want to look at the smaller smokers from Shirley, Lang and Peoria to get an idea of what they have to offer.

I'd like to stay under $1000 and get the most bang for my buck. I also want it to last as long as I do and still be around for my children.

The Lang 36 is available for around $1000. I'm not sure what the low end for Shirley is.

I've never had any issues of not enough smoke flavor on my Akorn. How are you placing your wood chunks in the lump charcoal?

Intermixed 50/50 Lump and Oak. I might try going to all Oak and just start it with a small load of lump and see what I get.

Intermixed 50/50 Lump and Oak. I might try going to all Oak and just start it with a small load of lump and see what I get.
That's how I roll I use a some mesquite too especially with beef I get better flavor then any joint with in 100 mi of my ranch

Pre heat the splits and don't stuff to much in the FB. I feed 1 split about every 45 min - hr to keep a small flame and replenish my coal bed. You're cooking in a Zone ( I try and hold a 50 deg spread +/- 25 of my desired temp) add wood at the bottom of the Zone if it passes the top limit leave it alone it will drop back.

You might consider the Old Country Over and Under smoker from Academy, looks like an interesting design for a charcoal/wood unit, also $499

On the Akorn, once you have your coals lit place the chunks right on top where the hot coals are. You might have to shove them deeper into the coals depending how much lump you have in there. On long cooks, I usually use 4 or 5 fist size chunks. I use a combination of pecan and apple. No problem with smoke flavor.

I have a Yoder Wichita and love it, great smoke flavor. You would be happy with any offset built like the Yoders. I'm not sure I'd want to try wood only in a kamado, while I've never cooked on one, can you get enough air flow through there?

If you want to stay under $1000, you're almost certainly going to have to buy something local. Otherwise, shipping is going to kill you. If you have a Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Academy Sports in you area, give them a look. I believe Bass Pro carries Horizon smokers, and Academy carries the Old Hickory line of smokers. Both brands are made of fairly heavy steel and appear to be reasonably well made. You may have to spend some money on gasket material to seal the doors, but I would rather spend money on gasket material than shipping.

Going to have to go thick metal in Michigan, unless you are just going to smoke 6 months out of the year.

Call Paul Shirley! Man can build anything ! Plus as many of us here can say, his customer service is unsurpassed! And I mean bar none!, lol now I just realized I need a smaller version of my patio shirley! Paul I'll be callin soon!.. I want the first shirley under 250 pds! Hahah if someone hasnt beat me to it!

Back