Oh, so close...

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Brought home a new member of the family today.

2017-03-23%2009.15.51_zpsprcqmkkg.jpg

Enjoyed the work involved with putting her together...

2017-03-23%2009.31.41_zpswytv4sas.jpg

2017-03-23%2009.54.27_zpsplyie9hp.jpg

2017-03-23%2010.13.05_zpsmfbqthwl.jpg

... until I unwrapped this:

2017-03-23%2010.33.30_zpsk7xr6rje.jpg

Next-to-last step in the build process. *sigh*. Oh well. Should have a replacement here tomorrow (thanks, Amazon), and the warranty parts in a week (thanks, Char-broil).

Seasoning and first cook this weekend.

Congratulations, a can to can and a half of Pam should do the trick. Will be standing by to see the goodness produced from your new cooker.

That's great! Nothing beats a stick burner, fo sho! Bummer about the thermometer. you could probably season that sucker without a thermometer. I know I couldn't wait! Do you have a maverick? That could be your sub... or run to the hardware store and get cheap oven thermometer maybe?

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll get crazy and season it tomorrow, instead of waiting.

Do you have a maverick? That could be your sub... or run to the hardware store and get cheap oven thermometer maybe?

I've got a ThermoWorks Smoke that I absolutely love. Planning to use her as primary with the "attached" thermometers as secondary.

I see some good times and good food in your immediate future. :-D

Now, I need to see about cutting down some of this wood (pecan and hickory) that I've been saving. It's in regular "fireplace" lengths... suggestions on best (relatively inexpensive) tool to chop it down to size?

More shenanigans and good times to come.

Hopefully, this will be the only setback you have with it. My Ok Joe Highland has served me well, I'm sure that the big brother will follow suit.

Nice one!!
Sorry to hear about the damage but it sounds like they are on the ball getting things straightened out. I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up on er first Marc. :)

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll get crazy and season it tomorrow, instead of waiting.

I've got a ThermoWorks Smoke that I absolutely love. Planning to use her as primary with the "attached" thermometers as secondary.

Now, I need to see about cutting down some of this wood (pecan and hickory) that I've been saving. It's in regular "fireplace" lengths... suggestions on best (relatively inexpensive) tool to chop it down to size?

More shenanigans and good times to come.
An electric chainsaw comes highly recommended.

congrats on the new cooker! exciting days coming for sure. if the splits are not too long to fit in the fb you could split them skinnier until you find the right thickness to burn the way you want. i hear a lot of horror stories about trying to cut them with power tools. i would make them skinnier or get a cheap chainsaw.

Nice!

I'm not a big fan of using a miter saw, I use an electric chainsaw for smoking wood.

Thermometers are overrated! Fire that mother UP!!!

This is all you need to cut splits down...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ODN1CP2/ref=mh_s9_acsd_top_b2JqY_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-11&pf_rd_r=ZB5CF42TEG9TNF6EAJRV&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=589197e2-5af7-5801-99a3-a2e531551607&pf_rd_i=552950[/ame]

No chain to sharpen no bar oil to sling or buy, just plug it in and start cutting.

It's in regular "fireplace" lengths... suggestions on best (relatively inexpensive) tool to chop it down to size?

Why do you guys not like a miter saw? I can whack out a whole bunch of wood
safely in no time. If any chainsaw has oil on it, it gets on the wood, not much,
but still....

Why do you guys not like a miter saw? I can whack out a whole bunch of wood
safely in no time. If any chainsaw has oil on it, it gets on the wood, not much,
but still....

most of my firewood is too thick for a standard blade on my circular saw, and its irregular...ie not even...which seems to make the blade kick more....

Now if you had a band saw I can see that would work...and I like the sawzall idea too....

Back