2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe new features (video)

Well BBM, I’m certainly reading this and some time ago I also went through your videos – so huge thank you for the effort.
Based in England and a long term Weber charcoal user – currently a Master Touch 57cm one, which actually is only a year old.
Stumbled on the BGE, read about that, then came across the Big Joe, which was very attractive for the divide and conquer system. The problem here in England is that the Big Joe has really no presence, the BGE more, but nowhere like the Weber. So any warranty issues are likely to take ages to resolve/replace, no matter how good the customer service is in the States.
Then I read about the Weber Summit, and I suspect I’ll be getting that in the not too distant future.
So, thanks to all who’ve contributed to these threads.
Please keep them coming.

Great! Nice to meet you, Larry. lol.

Anybody else who sees this thread is going to think we are crazy or drunk. Have a great rest of the week, David.

Heck! I was off yesterday. I might have been crazy drunk!! LOL

No...Now that I think about it, I'm just Crazy and not drunk....All the time :)

You too Sir. Thank you Justin.

Posting this here for the few that might not have seen it....LOL

Hey Larry.....I mean Jason.....No, wait.....Justin? YEAH, that's it..... You are a trip Dude!! LOLOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rEb66W7lg[/ame]

Hey! I thought this thread was about the new Kamado!! :)

BBM - love your videos and have been following for a while.

Couple of questions for you.
1. How many of the changes can be retrofit to to the old KJs? In order of need - gasket, cap, and hopefully never, the firebasket?

2. Do you ever do ribs on the KJs and not wrap? Do they get super crispy on the bottom? Been trying to solve this one for awhile!

3. Why is none of this on their website?!?

1. How many of the changes can be retrofit to to the old KJs? In order of need - gasket, cap, and hopefully never, the firebasket?

everything can be retrofitted for the Classic and Bobby Brennan just announced that they have a fix to allow the new hinge system to fit the big joe

2. Do you ever do ribs on the KJs and not wrap? Do they get super crispy on the bottom? Been trying to solve this one for awhile!

ribs are very easy, foil the deflector and I put the x rack above with a thin drip pan with a touch of water. No more issues. Of course you will hear everyone say no water pan in kamado, you don't need the moisture... up to you but I like doing it and it is no hassle

I am assuming you mean the upgrades being fit for older models? Why sell car upgrades at a dealership when you can buy the new car with all the features. Ask apple this same question???? But also, the upgrades will all be available soon but the new grills just released like 2 weeks ago.... give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day??

I am assuming you mean the upgrades being fit for older models? Why sell car upgrades at a dealership when you can buy the new car with all the features. Ask apple this same question???? But also, the upgrades will all be available soon but the new grills just released like 2 weeks ago.... give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day??

The quote function isn't working right - not capturing everything you wrote.

I do mean the upgrades being available for the older models. Why would they do it? Because they would have to understand I'm not dropping $2k to get the gasket and top. They would probably understand that I will pay a hundred or two for the gasket and top when I need them.

I don't need them right now, not in a rush. But after the huuuuuuuge gap between releasing the rotisserie option for the Joe and Big Joe, I'm not optimistic :)

And I will definitely try a water pan - I just want ribs that I can walk away from until they are done!!

Thank you.

Well BBM, I’m certainly reading this and some time ago I also went through your videos – so huge thank you for the effort.
Based in England and a long term Weber charcoal user – currently a Master Touch 57cm one, which actually is only a year old.
Stumbled on the BGE, read about that, then came across the Big Joe, which was very attractive for the divide and conquer system. The problem here in England is that the Big Joe has really no presence, the BGE more, but nowhere like the Weber. So any warranty issues are likely to take ages to resolve/replace, no matter how good the customer service is in the States.
Then I read about the Weber Summit, and I suspect I’ll be getting that in the not too distant future.
So, thanks to all who’ve contributed to these threads.
Please keep them coming.

Glad to help, Jeeves. I think you will really like it.

Sorry I'm late getting back to this. Dave from Adrenaline barbecue company came into town and we were doing some work for him (There is a lamb video up on his channel if you are interested).

1. I don't actually know for sure. I really don't have any affiliation with KJ so I found out about stuff on the internet the same way anyone else does and I have not seen specifics.

2. Do you mean direct? or with the heat deflector? I've never done them raised direct. (I have done pork butt that way...didn't care for it.)

3. Bosco is probably right.

Sorry I'm late getting back to this. Dave from Adrenaline barbecue company came into town and we were doing some work for him (There is a lamb video up on his channel if you are interested).

1. I don't actually know for sure. I really don't have any affiliation with KJ so I found out about stuff on the internet the same way anyone else does and I have not seen specifics.

2. Do you mean direct? or with the heat deflector? I've never done them raised direct. (I have done pork butt that way...didn't care for it.)

3. Bosco is probably right.

Fair enough on 1 and 3.

On the ribs - I do indirect, no foil or water pan. Rub goes straight on the ribs. Have same problem with baby backs and St. Louis.

Crispy crispy crispy. The top part is great - really don't want to mess with it. The bottom is inedible....

Attachments

• 20160410_211029.jpg
    20160410_211029.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160410_211034.jpg
    20160410_211034.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 51
Yeah, weber marketed the Summit as a performer and WSM rolled into one. Problem was I have a performer and WSM and it cost me $750 total and it is the best of both worlds if you ask me. Why would I spend over double the price to try and replicate the same thing?

Yeah, weber marketed the Summit as a performer and WSM rolled into one. Problem was I have a performer and WSM and it cost me $750 total and it is the best of both worlds if you ask me. Why would I spend over double the price to try and replicate the same thing?

Because it's not the same thing, it's a Kamado. If you were in the market for a BGE or a Primo, it should be something to consider.

That being said, you can produce just as good food on what you have. At least that has been my experience.

Because it's not the same thing, it's a Kamado. If you were in the market for a BGE or a Primo, it should be something to consider.

That being said, you can produce just as good food on what you have. At least that has been my experience.

I agree with you. Weber should have marketed as a kamado and not a performer+WSM as pointed out in one of Maniac's videos.

Yeah, exactly what these guys said ^.

For some reason they didn't decide to jump feet first into the kamado world as far as how they marketed it and then they made it LOOK like an glorified Performer...not a good combination.

When you customer base is used to paying $399 for the premium models of your cookers, and you come up with one that cost $1999, you have to do something to distinguish it. 3 guys on a forum shouldn't have to explain it. It should be obvious.

It is different. It's a kamado...and a darn good one if you compare it by the numbers to everything else in it's class. But they didn't make it obviously different for some reason.

However, I noticed BGE doesn't even call their product a kamado on their website. We do...but they definitely don't seem to embrace the word either. Not sure why that is.

But the difference is that even though Weber is a much bigger company, BGE customers expect their products to cost more. They may not like it, but they expect it. (and it's NOT because ceramic grills are expensive to make.)

Weber customers don't expect it...well, except stuff with the "Summit" name in it but that's a pretty weak way to differentiate it.

I agree with you. Weber should have marketed as a kamado and not a performer+WSM as pointed out in one of Maniac's videos.

Thanks for pointing that out. We had so much fun making that video. My kid was in that one alot (he was so excited) and it was a ton of work.

Ironically, that was one of my most disliked videos. I've never had such a negative reaction from any video before or since. I think I could get away with it more now since people are more used to my personality but back then nobody was doing anything super creative in this part of youtube so people got mad (like really mad) that I wasn't just standing there holding a cell phone camera and talking about the grill.

Seriously Justin? Mad about a video? You should post the link so I can rewatch it.

Back