My first Fattie -"The Cheesy Bratwurst" w/pr0n

Sneaker98

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Trying my first Fatty today. As me and the wife both love Brats, I thought it would be an interesting way to take on a Fatty.

She loves the Bacon and Cheese Brats from Johnsonville, and doesn't like some of my favorite brat toppings, like onions and kraut. So this one was catered to her.

Here we go...

Removed the casings form the Brats and into the bag.

Pressed the Brats out and smeared with some dijon and whole grain mustard...

Baked a can of flaky-style biscuits, separated them and layered those with american and mozzarella cheese.

Rolled and bacon weaved..

Added a little honey to the top, seasoned, probed, and onto the smoker...

Running with charcoal and sassafras chunks...

Currently running at about 250 degrees.

Will add finished pics when she is done!

Please critique!

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Why did you decide to put the biscuits on the inside? I would think the would absorb the grease and juices and become gooey? I think I would have used the biscuits to make a Fatty sammich.

Not knocking it, just curious. Let us know how it turns out.

Interesting idea. Why did you decide to put the biscuits on the inside? I would think the would absorb the grease and juices and become gooey? I think I would have used the biscuits to make a Fatty sammich.

Not knocking it, just curious. Let us know how it turns out.

Just wanted to make the Fatty comprise of the whole package, including "the bun"

I'm making a brat and kraut fatty soon. That looks like a great idea.

Love the idea of the Brat Fatty also curious to see how the biscuits hold up. The anticipation is making me hungry as all hell. :hungry:

Love the sound of this. I'm a brat, kraut, onion, mustard woman. Looking forward to seeing your finished fatty! :thumb:

This will be interesting. I love brats! Never thought of them as fattie materials....but why not!?:popcorn:

And the finished product...

Came out very good! Mrs. Sneaker loved it! The biscuits and cheese kind of came together in the meat, and I think it was a good thing. It helped keep the cheese from oozing out while cooking and slicing to serve. If I were to do it again we agreed we would cut back a bit on the biscuits and cheese.

While the fatty was smoking I was playing around with a sun dried tomato BBQ sauce for no real reason, but I ended up serving the fatty with a little bit of the sauce spooned on top, the sweetness helped to balance the flavors of the smoke, bacon, and bratwurst.

Would definitely do it again. Also looking forward to trying a kraut and onion bratwurst fatty in the future.

Cheers!

Welp, another thread going into the recipe folder....

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it!

How do you think breadcrumbs would have done in place of the biscuits to add some texture and absorb some of the oooeey goodness of the cheese and "juices"?

Back