Calories in Pork Butt?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How many calories per ounce of cooked BBQ pork butt (including all the fat/drippings minus the trimmed fat cap)? Anyone ever figure this out? I want to account for all my calories.

CALORIES AND PROTEIN

A 3-ounce-serving of pork butt, which is about the size of a deck of playing cards, contains 277 calories. Of those total calories, 85 come from the 21 grams of protein that this size serving of pork butt contains. This dietary protein helps meet your daily requirement of 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight recommended by the Institute of Medicine. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of cells, muscles, skin and other organs, as well as digestion and the production of body fluids.

Found this on google. Can't pay to much attention to it though cuz I love me some pulled pork everything.

Why are we talking calories? Once people smell that combination of smoke and meat, all calorie counting is moot. How many times have you seen a slab of ribs or a sammie served with a salad?:roll:

Wouldn't you have to take into consideration the rubs (sugars, etc.) and sauce, if any?

You'd also need to take into account any fat that renders out while cooking - Remember a pork butt shrinks by about 50-60% while cooking and it's not the lean protein that renders out - It's fat and collagen. My gut tells me that it's a lot lower than the estimates above but I'd have no way to tell.

I hope so, because I eat considerably more than 3 ounces in a sitting! :wink:

If you're on a diet, my advice to you is to either have a cheat day during which you'll enjoy whatever you want including pulled pork, or just don't cook it or eat any at all.:-D There ain't no crying in baseball and there ain't no calorie counting in BBQ!:wink:

Why are we talking calories? Once people smell that combination of smoke and meat, all calorie counting is moot. How many times have you seen a slab of ribs or a sammie served with a salad?:roll:

I eat salad all the time with bbq.

Potato salad.

Sorry I don't track calories much, I'm guessing I'm well over 3000 most days.

Wouldn't you have to take into consideration the rubs (sugars, etc.) and sauce, if any?

I should of mentioned that. I don't put any sugar in my rub or sauce for pork butt. I use a Shack Attack for the sauce and salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika for the rub.

CALORIES AND PROTEIN

A 3-ounce-serving of pork butt, which is about the size of a deck of playing cards, contains 277 calories. Of those total calories, 85 come from the 21 grams of protein that this size serving of pork butt contains. This dietary protein helps meet your daily requirement of 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight recommended by the Institute of Medicine. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of cells, muscles, skin and other organs, as well as digestion and the production of body fluids.

Found this on google. Can't pay to much attention to it though cuz I love me some pulled pork everything.

I notice a lot of articles don't mention if the weight is raw or cooked, as this one. 3 ounce of pork butt is 277 calories raw or cooked?

Thanks for the replies.

While the shoulder vary from animal to animal, the fat content also varies considerably.

on the average a 4 ounce serving of shoulder roast averages about 330 calories and contains roughly 24.2 grams of fat and 26.2 grams of protein.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/pork-roast-shoulder-cooked?portionid=3037&portionamount=4.000

The link you put up says 330 calories per 4oz of boneless shoulder pork roast. But other common serving sizes says 1oz w/ bone (yield after cooking, bone removed) is 47 calories. So with that math it would equate to 188calories per 4 ounce serving of bone in pork shoulder after cooking.

I need to lose weight in a big way, but I can't seem to adjust my portion sizes.
I don't eat BBQ but once a month tops, the every day calories are my problem.
It does seem to me that pork butts smoked to perfection with a large loss of rendered fat would be better or less fatty than one cooked in a ditch over in your oven, as at least on your smoker most of the fat would drop clear of the final product. I know I empty out cups of lard from my catch bucket that hangs below my rig.

I have lost 30lbs since bbqing. I did it while eating BBQ 1-3 times a week. A few things to do to limit your calories.

1. Get your portion control down.
2. Leave the buns out, just eat the meats.
3. Leave the thick sweet sauces out. I typically didn't use sauces, but when I did, they were the vinegar based sauces.
4. Make healthier sides. As much as the regular comfort sides that go with BBQ like potato salad, coleslaw, corn bread, bbq baked beans hit the spot, look for healthier alternatives. I would make seasonal fresh salads, vinegar based coleslaws, left the beans/cornbread/potato salads out. Used sweet potatoes in place of potatoes (and get used to savory sweet potatoes and not the butter/brown sugar/cinnamon baked potatoes)
5. Get out and move around. Take walks, ride bikes, etc. I try to get in a 2-3 mile walk.

I am still on the heavier side, but I am taking slow steps to being a little bit healthier and losing weight, while still eating what I want.

I use a calorie counter app called My Fitness Pal. It has worked for me this year by losing almost 50 pounds since Feb. all while eating BBQ all summer long and really, all the time. And much of it was pork. According to what I use for pulled pork: 1oz serving has 58 calories and 2g of Fat, 3.3g of carbs, and 6.3g of Protein. I don't add in rub calories, because most of that is negligible if you actually do the math a couple times. Not worth the hassle counting. BBQ sauce on the other hand is, since most of it is sweet flavored and made from molasses. I switched to a vinegar based sauce (BB's Lawnside in KC. My coworkers and I buy it by the case!) for pulled pork or no sauce is good too. Also get rid of the bread. Worthless calories and add more room for MEAT!

Ribs I have found are worse for calories than pulled pork, so I have been seemingly stock piling ribs in the freezer since I can't pass up a sale. I usually only had 4 bones for a dinner serving.

Good luck.

I have lost 30lbs since bbqing. I did it while eating BBQ 1-3 times a week. A few things to do to limit your calories.

1. Get your portion control down.
2. Leave the buns out, just eat the meats.
3. Leave the thick sweet sauces out. I typically didn't use sauces, but when I did, they were the vinegar based sauces.
4. Make healthier sides. As much as the regular comfort sides that go with BBQ like potato salad, coleslaw, corn bread, bbq baked beans hit the spot, look for healthier alternatives. I would make seasonal fresh salads, vinegar based coleslaws, left the beans/cornbread/potato salads out. Used sweet potatoes in place of potatoes (and get used to savory sweet potatoes and not the butter/brown sugar/cinnamon baked potatoes)
5. Get out and move around. Take walks, ride bikes, etc. I try to get in a 2-3 mile walk.

I am still on the heavier side, but I am taking slow steps to being a little bit healthier and losing weight, while still eating what I want.

Awesome and good job brother!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I like salad with my Pulled Pork.. Big pile of slaw.:icon_smile_tongue:

On a serious note I agree with aawa's strategy. I peaked out at 302 about a year ago. Lost 45 and then stalled. Cut out the liquid pork chops(Bud Light) and bingo--started going down again. Presently 248 on my way to 180.

Back