UDS Build Question

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I found an un-lined food-grade drum. I have cut out the top and am in the process of burning it out. What should I do to the inside of the drum? I was thinking pressure wash the soot from the burn-out and then spray it down with Pam.

Check out the UDS posting. You will find more info about UDS than you ever wanted to know. Your answer seams right on, a good wash, then season. I personally like the cans of really messy crisco. You spread it all over, man is that stuff messy. But your hands will be soft and waterproof for days. :heh: Then do a medium heat to cook in the crisco for seasoning.

Spray everything down with non stick cooking spray and fire it up to about 250 to 300 for a couple of hours. That should do the trick. After you do the burnout and wash out that is!!

Come on! A quick pressure wash and then a fatty. The inside of your drum will have a nice amber patina. Skip the Crisco....

I don't get why anyone worries about "seasoning" the inside of a drum. Cook on the darn thing. That's the best thing for it.

I agree, with my own UDS, it is nicely "cured" with a nice smokey coat.....after only two smokes, but I will add I was planning to follow the advice of the others, but forgot to to do it in my eagerness to get something going on it.

Back