• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Horseradish sauce

OK so I read the mayo thread, since the product in question was essentially mayo (Kraft horseradish sauce). However I didn't see the age question covered so.......

Saturday myself and MrsPimp go to a very well regarded rest. for steak. Long story short I ordered prime rib, rare of course. When my meat got to me I asked for horseradish and they brought me the aftermentioned product. I used it for a while (on french fries) for awhile before I realized that it was warm. So I'm checking the label to see if it requires refrigeration and I see the expire date

11/06/06:icon_smil

WTF! So what do the food safety gurus say about this? Safe or Not?

How dangerous is expired mayo type products?

I would not be happy with this discovery. Some restaurants refill these from bulk containers to save money. Here Health law prohibits refilling labeled commercial containers to prevent putting another product under a different label. Refilling non-labeled or generic squeeze containers is permitted.

OK, so here is my favorite way of making horseradish sauce. I finely grind my horseradish root with a microplane. Then I use heavy whipping cream and whip it up till it is tight. Add some salt and the horseradish. Maybe a small pinch of sugar. Simply decadent.....

For Passover dinner I make a Jewish staple called chrain. It's a preparation using fresh horseradish, white vinegar a little sugar and fresh beets. Everything goes through the shredder blade on the food processor. The beets give it a bright red color and the stuff is POWERFUL. I put on a pair of ski goggles and wrap a bandana around me nose and mouth to prevent serious discomfort ruing preparation.

if you want a good bloody mary try a litle horse radih in it

Back