What is the bend test?

Chelps03

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How does it work and when do you do it? Also do you rest ur ribs?

bendtest.jpg

Bludawg showed you the bend test. No, I don't rest my rubbed meat. Some do, but I rub mine while the pit is heating up (it may get 15-30 minutes, during this period) but not more than that.

I usually let my pork ribs rest about 15 minutes after they're finished, but if needed I've held them in various ways for up to an hour with no issues. I'm sure you could hold them longer if needed, but I've just never needed to. Larger meats you would want to rest longer. Butts I try to do 45 minutes at least. A lot of people rest briskets for a couple hours.

I cooked 10 racks a couple weeks ago and went the FTC route. Would pull out a rack and cut it up every so often during an all day keg event, the last racks were as good if not better than the first ones after a 2-3 hour rest.

Yea, Marty's description is good.....you do have to watch some...esp. if you decide to wrap a part of the time as that will soften things up usually.................

FathersDay2013015.jpg

MemorialsJuly2012038.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you are doing it in the thicker part because the thinner part will be softer first

Correct me if I'm wrong, but raw ribs will do that won't they?

I've always understood the bend test in being that if you pick up a rack with a set of tongs like above and the rack bends and STARTS to crack and wants to break apart under it's own weight, they're done.

If they bend and don't crack or start to break, then they're not ready yet.
If they fall apart, they're overdone.

That's how I've used it anyway.

I've always understood the bend test in being that if you pick up a rack with a set of tongs like above and the rack bends and STARTS to crack and wants to break apart under it's own weight, they're done.

Yes when they tear a lil in Bend but not fall apart.

Besides the rib bend test, when buying a brisket, hold it about halfway in the middle and see if it bends easily, if not it could mean it has a bigger hunk of hard fat then you like to see. A more floppy one will not have so much hard fat and maybe a little less fat in general, but like to see a good cap of fat covering the top of a full packer. Hate to see when the butcher trims is all off. This is not about ribs, but thought it may be helpful anyway.
Dave

Yeah, I think they would if raw.....never thought to do a bend test raw......

These ones were 'baked' in basil jelly & then glazed several times (like 6) toward the end of the cook....See Here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189381

I think it's the jelly what made them do that !!!!!

Wampus is a wise man. That is how I've always done the bend test. I hold one end of the rack with a pair of tongs and let the rack bend over. Once the meat just starts to split from the stress of the bend, they are done. Did a quick google search and this is the best pic I found:
bend_test.jpg

I've been hit and miss on ribs - I'm certain I overcook them more often than not..
That said - I took a class and asked a lot about this topic.

Raw ribs bend over like a limp noodle
pick them up at 2 hours and they will be stiff and straight out

They said once the fibers of the meat start breaking when picking up for the test, they are really close and/or done.

Another hint was if on the underside - once the 3rd rib starts to pop out from the skin splitting . They are done.

Finally - I hint on the forum that makes perfect sense and I will try tomorrow...

When the ribs are about done sizzling, they are done.
Which I take as the fat rendering out and hitting hot surfaces. As the sizzle dies.. you are about out of fat to render..
Same concept as popcorn... once it is just about done popping... its done..

Wampus is a wise man. That is how I've always done the bend test. I hold one end of the rack with a pair of tongs and let the rack bend over. Once the meat just starts to split from the stress of the bend, they are done. Did a quick google search and this is the best pic I found:
bend_test.jpg

Hope wampus's head doesn't swell too much but he's right again. That is how I have always done the bend test too. A little splitting is good, falling off bad.

It's what happens to your mind after hanging around for a couple of years :shock::crazy:.

Keep on Qing,

KC

Back