Baby Backs on the Akorn

Ebijack is right. I had the stone in mine and had to work to get a smoke flavor. The stone does a good job as a diffuser though and your Temps should be more stable. What he said about using the small pieces of wood chunks is good advice too. Chips are too small chunks are too big. Split the chunks into 3-4 smaller pieces will work too. In my experience you gotta work a little to get that good smoked flavor when using an Akorn.

In my opinion the Akorn is SO efficient with heat it actually works against itself when smoking. It takes such a small fire to get Temps to 250-300 and it'll stay that way ALL day without hardly burning any coal. Well this means it isn't burning that wood either. I would put the small tiny chunks close to the middle too because that's where the fire is started. You've probably already noticed it doesn't burn much during the cook process.
I think you'll really like the stone, I just don't think it'll solve your lacking smoke flavor. That will take experimenting with wood sizes and placement. But you'll get it down, I have faith! :thumb:

That definitley makes sense. I did beef ribs last week and a chunk of hickory didn't even get lit. With the BBs I did get a good smoke flavor but it wasn't as intense as in the mini. I am putting the wood close to the fire for sure in smaller chunks.

I found a 15 inch pizza pan worked much better than a 16 inch. The 15 was tough to find.
Just a thought.

If I can't get the stone I may do that. Or actually try the diffuser from my mini the holes in the steamer tray may give me the best of both worlds.

Those BBs are so good looking they are downright sexy. Bravo man!

Thanks a lot!

Back