• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Comp Practice run

lots of notes, little drinking, little sleeping....

And don't forget to build full comp boxes for your meats. Getting practice building them will help and if you post pics I am sure you will get some good advice!

Have fun Keith, I'm waiting on the pics :-D. Hope the weather gods smile on you for this weekend.

Great idea. We did the same thing. Really makes your first comp a lot more familiar. Not sure the neighbors could figure out why 2 grown men were out in the yard sleeping in tents...

I will be doing the same thing...not as much meat as normal..but everthing from set up to tare down....good time to take notes....

Not that you asked for any advice, but get a box and put EVERYTHING you use tonight in that box. Don't put anything away. Then, when you are done you'll have a real idea about what you'll need. Amazing how many comps I did before it entered my thick skull to bring measuring cups and a whisk!

Have fun!

Have fun Keith, I'm waiting on the pics :-D. Hope the weather gods smile on you for this weekend.

The weatehr was terrible Dave, Since I have the luxuroy I changed my plan. Decided I would do a thursday practice run. So got all my stuff packed up and went ahead and trimmed chicken and ribs. I am going to cook tonight. Start trimming brisket and pork butts around 5pm. Colder today but dry.:p:clap2::clap2:

Hey Keith, what comp are you getting ready for. Meat aka Keith
I am looking at Versailles over memorial day if they do it again this year and Sedalia in June. Also thinking about Blue Springs, Columbia and The Royal. Look forward to meeting you. I am terrible at remembering names but may not have that problem with you. keith

5499787764_33750b7424_m.jpg

Chicken and ribs trimmed. Will trim and inject butts and brisket at 5pm

5499190917_af8eb77d3e_m.jpg

My arsenal. Will be added to the meat in various combinations and times.

5499194007_c746499b75_m.jpg

final touch possibilites.

sorry for single pictures per reply. Will work on trying to fiqure out how to add more than one at a time.

Last edited:
Good luck, I did that as well last year before entering our first comp. It is an eye opener, but fun and worth it. Another Keith here, we could find a couple more Keith's and have an all Keith cook off!

Wow those are some small butts unless the camera angle is messing with me. They have been running on the small side at Sam's lately.

Advice, cook more chicken......6 pieces at turn in
easy to screw up a few, or burn.....& have your rub combos down & pre made, Have a timer to wake you up to check temp,baste or mist, or whatever you plan to do

Wow those are some small butts unless the camera angle is messing with me. They have been running on the small side at Sam's lately.
they are a little small. About all I can get local. they were about 6.5 lbs each.

"Mock" comp helped me pull 2 first places in a backyard division @ our first comp. The advise here helped even more.

Back