UDS finally done

How many intakes and what size? if just those 2 in pic may need more.....

Overall? Very clean looking unit.

Not sure about the risers- some folk don't have the best of luck with them (not enough intake) But they look cooler than heck.

Hard to tell from the pic, but your grate seems to be sitting pretty high unless you are going to use a kettle lid. I use the flat lid too but my grate sits about 5.5" down from the lip. If you find you need more depth, it's easy enough to drop down and drill more holes. I'd do 3 studs instead of 4 or more- less wobbly if your measuring and drilling is "less than perfect" like mine is.

Good Job- Cook something already :-D

Looks great! I remember how proud I felt when I completed mine. I love cooking on something I built! Enjoy.

Great job, I think you can scratch the U off the UDS.

How many intakes and what size? if just those 2 in pic may need more.....
There's a 3/4" capped nipples in the back as well. I may end up drilling for another 3/4" in the front as well. I'm going to season it today and see how it does.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Overall? Very clean looking unit.

Not sure about the risers- some folk don't have the best of luck with them (not enough intake) But they look cooler than heck.

Hard to tell from the pic, but your grate seems to be sitting pretty high unless you are going to use a kettle lid. I use the flat lid too but my grate sits about 5.5" down from the lip. If you find you need more depth, it's easy enough to drop down and drill more holes. I'd do 3 studs instead of 4 or more- less wobbly if your measuring and drilling is "less than perfect" like mine is.

Good Job- Cook something already :-D
I went 3" down for the first grate and 9" down for the second grate. I thought about using Weber kettle lid but it doesn't have a good snug fit, there's too much "wiggle room". It would work but I could see a potential temp issue.

Looks great! I remember how proud I felt when I completed mine. I love cooking on something I built! Enjoy.
LOL I couldn't stop admiring it when I finished it up. Even the wife said it looks really good. The picture just doesn't do it any justice!! The copper really looks good in person.
I still need to get it mobile and off the ground. The best part was when my neighbor said "he'd buy one".

22b089e4ed18b6dd14b2a69ae37c2633.jpg

Sweet looking drum! I'm going to get working on a stainless barrel soon that's gonna have a copper kettle lid on it, can't wait for that Weber to get delivered to my house! I'm think the two-tone stainless and copper is going to look sweet but you have me second guessing, might just paint over that stainless with more copper! :mrgreen:

Ya that Top Grate is too High. Only Ribs gonna fit. I think I did 6" down then 6" more but can't remember.

Sweet looking drum! I'm going to get working on a stainless barrel soon that's gonna have a copper kettle lid on it, can't wait for that Weber to get delivered to my house! I'm think the two-tone stainless and copper is going to look sweet but you have me second guessing, might just paint over that stainless with more copper! :mrgreen:
I think the copper, black and stainless came out better than I thought it would. And my OCD even agreed with it! Lol

Ya that Top Grate is too High. Only Ribs gonna fit. I think I did 6" down then 6" more but can't remember.
I only planned on putting ribs up on the top grate. The bottom grate is for beer can chickens, pork butts and whatever else I can fit on there. It's 9" from the top, should be good to go.
I'm cruising at 275 on the bottom grate with only the 2 ball valves half way open. Started seasoning at 1130, had the 2 ball valves open and the nipple cap off and it was around 310* for a few so I put the cap on the nipple and just played around with the valves, so far it's been easy to get the temps dialed in. This thing is AWESOME!!

I can't wait any longer to cook on this bad boy. It's been seasoning since 1130. I'm putting some turkey burgers on in about 30 mins.

Back