TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

I guess I should have commented, for longer brines after I get the salt/sugar dissolved I always toss in an ice tray to cool the brine down faster before putting in the fridge. I have heard of people using an ice bath around brine when the container is too big for the fridge though.
Back when I bothered to wet brine, it was always when temps outside were near freezing. I would brine in a cooler that I left outside. Now I don't bother. Most poultry comes enhanced, even "fresh" turkeys have been legally cooled to 26°F, which to me means frozen. I get more results with rubs under the skin.

Back when I bothered to wet brine, it was always when temps outside were near freezing. I would brine in a cooler that I left outside. Now I don't bother. Most poultry comes enhanced, even "fresh" turkeys have been legally cooled to 26°F, which to me means frozen. I get more results with rubs under the skin.

For turkey I've always used a wet brine plus a rub under the skin, with the long cooking time I think the brine helps season plus keep it moist. In my electric smoker I always brined chickens too, I found that they were much moister that way. Rub under the skin is a must for me too though for any poultry.

I make my brine days ahead, so I dissolve everything in regular tap water then put the brine in the fridge. My turkey or chicken then goes into a precooled brine and back into the fridge, I never add ice. My brine contains veggies and sometimes fruit so I like them to marry some

I love grilling turkey breasts. When I have time I plan on reading every post in this thread. The last two that I have done were fantastic. I posted a picture of the last breast that I grilled in my introduction thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241074

Colleen handles the brine. We usually brine if for 24-36 hours. I don't know the recipe that she uses. I do know that she cuts the salt in half.

I don't apply a dry rub to the breast. I cook an 8 pound breast over indirect heat for about 3 hours, pulling it off the grill at 163 and let it rest/cook the rest of the way.

Its beautiful, moist, and delicious. Don't want to cross post the picture here since its already in the other thread.

B

Has anyone compared and contrasted brined turkey to injected turkey?

A few thoughts and assumptions I have considered:

The leanness of the turkey, especially the breasts would seem to be better suited for brining and longer, more evenly distributed moisture. While whole chickens have an increased amount of fat comparatively and may be better suited to injection. Given, brining whole chickens is certainly a good method as well, I have always injected my whole chickens and very rarely have moisture problems even with 4 hour cooks.

If I were going to inject a whole turkey, I would mirror the time frames of brining.

One plus could be less moisture retention of the skin with injection.

A negative could be remnants of injection marks especially if spices are included in the injection. This would be prominent in the white flesh of the meat.

Just reading through it came to my mind and figured I would throw it up here. Thanks everyone!

Has anyone compared and contrasted brined turkey to injected turkey?

A few thoughts and assumptions I have considered:

The leanness of the turkey, especially the breasts would seem to be better suited for brining and longer, more evenly distributed moisture. While whole chickens have an increased amount of fat comparatively and may be better suited to injection. Given, brining whole chickens is certainly a good method as well, I have always injected my whole chickens and very rarely have moisture problems even with 4 hour cooks.

If I were going to inject a whole turkey, I would mirror the time frames of brining.

One plus could be less moisture retention of the skin with injection.

A negative could be remnants of injection marks especially if spices are included in the injection. This would be prominent in the white flesh of the meat

I've spoken with a lot of professional chefs and done the research...when it comes to poultry, chicken or turkey, the breast meat is just plain lean and I've been told that you simply have to brine in order to get good results. I've found this to be true. The process is diffusion (not osmosis) and what you're doing is essentially getting the meat fibers to absorb more water. Injection is not going to do this for you...so doing a brine, in my playbook, is essential.

I use a seasoned brine and I have to say, I've tried injecting in addition to brining and it doesn't seem necessary or advantageous. A seasoned brine will absolutely get you there. Injecting seems like a compromise to brining but better then nothing. It still seems like the meat shrinks, tightens and compresses during the cook that anything injected just gets squeezed out. And yeah, sometimes I wonder if all those injection holes aren't letting fluids seep out! I've poked a few birds with skewers only to see quite a bit of precious fluid coming oozing out. So yeah, I think I'm done injecting my turkey, I'll stick with a 3-5 day seasoned brine in the frig.

Biggest tip I could offer is never go over 16 pounds. I've gone as high at 28 pounds and had reasonable results but if you want outstanding results, keep it under 16....the big Tom's are almost like compressed wood, whatever results you may get with a big Tom, the results would be even better with a modest sized hen. By the time the deep meat hits 165F, the outer meat has had too much exposure.

Spatchcocking or Butterflying is also a great thing. Breast meat and thigh meat are different in how they cook so splitting the bird seems to help even this out.

Nobody in my family eats the skin for health reasons but I leave the skin on for about 2 hours (to help keep things moist) and then pull the bird...peel the skin, oil it up and then apply rub to help build a light bark. This way each slice of the breast can have a nice texture. If, during the cook, the bark starts to look too dark or the meat starts to crack a bit, I'll cover the breast with some foil...but some good oil and a few mops should be fine. This is where having a bigger bird, that takes longer for the 165F to hit the inner meat, can take it's toll.

Last thought, better to go longer on the brine with lower salt concentration then to go higher on the salt and hope you didn't create a salty bird. The trick is to get the meat to absorb water but not have your guest waking up in the middle of the night gasping for a drink of water because they inadvertently ate what amounts to a salt lick. There is a fine window where you get the moisturizing effect without the excessive salty taste.

This year I ordered an organic free range bird for $4/lb, and this will be the most I've ever spent. Ask me in a week if it was worth it. ;-)

Please tell us in a week if it was worth it. :wink:
Took me longer than a week to get back here but the turkey was pretty great. I changed too many things vs last year to really compare but it certainly wasn't bad in any way. I kept thinking the texture was better (more grain, less mush) but it could have been placebo effect. I think I'll get the same kind of bird again next year.

I did Alton Brown's brine recipe and spatchcocked the bird on my pellet grill at 325. This was the first year using a pellet grill and spatchcocking. We invited a coworker of mine who had just moved from Alabama over for Thanksgiving as he has no local family. He's used to frying his turkeys and I was nervous about spatchcocking yielding dryer meat that he might not care for. He took one bite of my bird and said wryly "I didn't know Yankees could cook!" The thigh meat was perfect, the breasts were moist and had a slight "crust" or firmness to the outside and the skin was crispy and wonderful.

GSKQIZSFT51ZOJz-zUfTbPl8JQ6Uq1PbfRHUoA7oSRIpX92IB_zpsbtr5gqg9.jpg

I also followed Meathead's recipe for making gravy from the drippings. I put the turkey on the upper grate of the pellet grill and put a 3" roasting pan with all the goodies on the lower grate while the bird cooked. That turned out amazing as well.

The only downside was it was a lot more effort involved than I've ever spent. Everything was from scratch, I didn't even use a store-bought rub. I didn't have a pot large enough to fit our 18 lb turkey for the wet brine so I had to jury-rig it with some giant ziplocs. But even that was a struggle to get the bird in the opening without tearing the bag, then I had to duct tape it shut or it would keep popping open and leaking brine around my fridge. Need to get a food-grade bucket for sure. Our bird also was big boned to the point that it defeated my old poultry shears. I had to hack at the ribs with a 8" chef's knife to get the backbone out. I kept envisioning salmonella flying around my kitchen with every whack of the knife. I bought new shears but haven't done another turkey to really put it to the test.

My wife keeps bugging me to do the same recipe but on a chicken or two, to keep the leftovers reasonable. Hopefully next week I'll do that.

Last edited:
My turkey.

I like to brine my turkeys over night at least 12 hours, and then I let it rest and drain. Then I stuff it with bacon and corn bread stuffing and reserve the bacon fat to rub all over the skin. I smoke it in my stick burner with white oak and a hint of hickory. I try to keep the temps at 275 until the breast and thigh hit 165 degrees. Best Turkeys ever. This is also how I do TurDucHens but I layer the stuffing between each deboned bird.

Almost that time again!!! And I'm getting prepared to smoke my first turkey this year for a large Thanksgiving dinner. Will be supplementing with a traditional oven roasted turkey to make sure we have enough for everyone. Plan to keep things simple and basically follow Wampus' ideas from the first few pages of this thread. I'll be using my USD w/guru controller and plan to smoke the turkey whole (no spatchcocking), trussed and right on the grate. For those that have a UDS or similar cooker, is there any need for a heat shield? I've never used, nor found the need, for a heat shield on my UDS for chicken, butts, ribs, or anything I've ever cooked on it. Just curious if for whatever reason a turkey would be any different?

Almost that time again!!! And I'm getting prepared to smoke my first turkey this year for a large Thanksgiving dinner. Will be supplementing with a traditional oven roasted turkey to make sure we have enough for everyone. Plan to keep things simple and basically follow Wampus' ideas from the first few pages of this thread. I'll be using my USD w/guru controller and plan to smoke the turkey whole (no spatchcocking), trussed and right on the grate. For those that have a UDS or similar cooker, is there any need for a heat shield? I've never used, nor found the need, for a heat shield on my UDS for chicken, butts, ribs, or anything I've ever cooked on it. Just curious if for whatever reason a turkey would be any different?

I think for birds, and especially turkey that higher temps, and maybe some direct heat will produce crispy skin. No need to hold back on the heat for low n slow for a turkey IMHO.

I think for birds, and especially turkey that higher temps, and maybe some direct heat will produce crispy skin. No need to hold back on the heat for low n slow for a turkey IMHO.

Thanks. I've noticed the same with chicken leg/thighs. The direct heat makes for a nicely finished skin. I plan to set my guru around 340 and let 'er rip. I do my chicken around the same temp with great results every time. Just wasn't sure if I needed to consider anything different with turkey, since this will be my first.

Last week I discovered a quart ziplock of smoked turkey 'hiding' in the freezer. Knowing the only time I smoke turkey is November, I was curious how 11 month old frozen turkey would taste. I had filled the bag with the broth and removed 100% of the air bubbles prior to freezing.
Tasted like I cooked it yesterday. Perfect!
I was surprised it would keep that long.

Does anyone smoke boneless skinless turkey breasts? I know I have been to a few bbq joints that do and it is one of my favorites. I want to try smoking some at home but can never find turkey breasts and the ones I do find are usually pre-brined in a 16-20% solution. anyone had any luck sourcing them? Looks like i am going to have to stock up on natural whole turkeys and keep them in a deep freeze throughout the year.

Does anyone smoke boneless skinless turkey breasts? I know I have been to a few bbq joints that do and it is one of my favorites. I want to try smoking some at home but can never find turkey breasts and the ones I do find are usually pre-brined in a 16-20% solution. anyone had any luck sourcing them? Looks like i am going to have to stock up on natural whole turkeys and keep them in a deep freeze throughout the year.

This is mainly what i cook for Thanksgiving and Xmas.
Sprouts is where i get mine from without all the solution.
Good luck!!

Is this the correct thread to announce that I not only hate turkey, but I hate Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza, and New Years too?

Bah Humbug.

But doesn't that means that you are sort of a turkey?

Back