lump charcoal

S

slat

Has anyone used the real wood lump charcoal from walmart? If so what did you think of it? How does it perform compared to other brands of lump?

Slat

pretty decent stuff--imo of course---heard that it is made by Royal Oak.

It is ALL I use if I use charcoal. It doesn't burn as hot or last as long as regular charcoal, but it is 100% wood, so you know what your getting.

Slat,
Buzz is right, it's made by Royal Oak for Wally World. Here is a URL for a lump database: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm. They give it a pretty good rating. Wally World's lump is about all that I used last year.
StL Mike

Hey Slat,

If you got a Kroger's or an IGA around you close, see if you can pick up a bag of "Best Choice" lump. It's made by Royal Oak for Associated Grocers and actually rates out a little better quality than the Walmart brand or Royal Oak Brand.

Real Flavor rates 4.6
Royal Oak rates 4.8
Best Choice rates 4.9

I've let the "cat out of the bag" around here, went to buy some last night and it was all gone. So was the Tony Chachere's. I ain't sharin' no mo' cookin' tips unless they are an offical Brethren! :evil:

We got plenty of Tony's down here on da bayou. Let me know if you cant find any, ship you some. You can't make rub without the Tony's.

Jack

I forgot to put my 2 cents in on the lump. When I was using my old cast iron smoker, it took 20 lbs of the normal Kingsford charcoal. With 10 lbs of the walmart lump I could run it as hot and long!

Jack

I hate to pimp "fancy" places - but my wife found lump at Barbeques Galor that is great - start fast - very hot - I don't know about flavor- use it as a starter - heat control

R

Back