New Weber Gold Leaks

Hdhead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Fired up my shiny new Weber copper kettle for the first time for a practice cook and temperature calibration. On my old 18.5 kettle I have been sticking a digital probe in the vent so the probe was near the cooking surface. So I did the same on the new one to check. Interestingly the dome thermometer reads 25 degrees cooler than the probe closer to the cooking surface. Not sure if that is real or if the dome thermometer is out of calibration.
But my more significant concern is that with all dampers completely closed the kettle stays at 240-250 degrees until the coals burn out. I'm pretty sure that the air leak is through the bottom dampers. Will these seal up with more cooks? Also I have always conserved charcoal by snuffing out the fire but can't do that as of yet. Any experience with this is appreciated.

I never use snuffed out charchol, its like smoking an old, half burnt cigar, stale. It should get tighter as you use it.

It'll seal more as you cook more. I snuff out n reuse charcoal all the time but always mix new in with it.

It'll seal more as you cook more. I snuff out n reuse charcoal all the time but always mix new in with it.
Agree. And same here with reusing charcoal.

My charcoal basket (in my uds) is always at least half full of used coals. I always fire new coals and dump on top of old.

Last edited:
I always reuse leftover charcoal.

doesnt smell at all like an old cigar.

Not very experienced here but I only reuse charcoal for hot fast grilling/searing. I use new charcoal when I smoke. Not sure about stale charcoal or not, I just want consistent burn times and at my level of experience I need to use new.

For grilling the reused stuff works fine though.

Oh and to stay more on topic, I agree with the others that your kettle will seal more as you use it.

I always use left over charcoal if you use lump strait out the bag it is used charcoal:doh: If your suckin air pull the self clean system apart and bend the tab where the stud goes through so when you push the stud back in and tighten the screw it pull the blades closer to the bowl. I have had do fix mine a few times when a chunk of Charcoal gets caught and tweeks the blades causing it to run on.

The one touch system is almost impossible to get a good seal on. More designed for cleaning out ashed than anything else

As others have mentioned, it will seal up better after a few uses. my 22.5" OTG seals up pretty good and will snuff out a fire pretty quick. I frequently reuse charcoal unless the pieces are too small and will jsut end up falling through the grates. "New" charcoal right out of the bag is after all just pre-smoldered wood anyway.

The one touch system is almost impossible to get a good seal on.
My three wheeler gets the nod, when a smoking session comes up that will help the UDS. I have faith in the old '99.
I have a OTG, but don't trust it to keep temp like the old battlewagon.

" I have faith in the old '99."

....and the '87...and the '76....and the '69....and the......'77...and the.....

did a cook on my otg last week. shut it down after.
next day the kettle was still hot. opened it up and found a few burning embers. definitely a leak.

been cooking on that unit for a couple years. not new.

maybe I should throw a butt on next time I shut her down ?

Last edited:
next day the kettle was still hot. opened it up and found a few burning embers.

maybe I should throw a butt on next time I shut her down ?

One possible solution i've used numerous times before..............:wink:

Not after running all nite, but TO run all nite after having coals winding down slowly & not snuffing very fast.............

I always reuse charcoal also. Don't see a problem with that at all. :thumb: Your kettle should get tighter as you use it, but if you see a big gap with your cleaning system it can be taken apart and tweaked to make a better fit. I would keep cooking before I tweaked it.:thumb:

I re use charcoal but it get stacked next to new and i start lighting the used on the next cook! Old lights easier, burns quick and then you're into the new....rinse-repeat

I re use charcoal but it get stacked next to new and i start lighting the used on the next cook! Old lights easier, burns quick and then you're into the new....rinse-repeat

I do the same. Also get nice smoke quicker.

"left over charcoal" - what is that? You mean it was heated and then let cool in an oxygen-starved environment? Oh wait - that's how they MAKE charcoal!

" I have faith in the old '99."

DO SHOW US PICS of those old battlewagons!

DO SHOW US PICS of those old battlewagons!

Bob....mid 70's.

10-8-13PTampBrisket020.jpg

Lil' Red......early 70's.......the Orange.....'93........

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013010.jpg

Lulu.....'03.....

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013055.jpg

Elevator counterweight....c. 1910.....WWII aircraft tire.....with '78 Redhead .............and the wife's 2012 under cover......

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013011.jpg

Mae Belle....late 70's.....with Bob & Lulu....l to r.....

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013009.jpg

Wooden Performer.....'69.....

BadHabitsampSemi-Grails003.jpg

Brownie.....'90''''

BrownM4-7-2013006.jpg

Blue MasterTouch.....'93...........

BlueMT4-6-2013006.jpg

Row of Blackies, doin' butts......

Jan29Danaedad064.jpg

Back