My version of chicken tikka masala

Badjak

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I thought I would share this.
I made this a couple of weeks ago:

Marinade the chicken in yoghurt, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili, turmeric
E7uhMk2iefOvsLNwhQDDbgfTKNEdpKjxIXHLAkY8OIkwm1kfS45Vplc188pVZrCtJZjfknzuKk-fnA=w331-h220

Made the sauce:
faUii_w-0ZIUTfhujJUdsWlx8Y7TgUYMq7mrO_4Xfcpnl88AEHyHFx47QSpICEVtEtSexVaktHnv8Q=w331-h220

cVmsCd9YVYH9A6wEjzqXpAhieypgGKam58vnfbUlYmDCg3QFKgSusR-4BtfatbXjkaUMG_IW4xffWA=w331-h220

HD0U6KnRD-rQ1VHLItB2fZFDl179rUGZECk7BU9G-Cd9ZqHrLT0RLgzY801RPPTshDxX8MLmGxdPuw=w331-h220

JwQlQbLOIzXicqBumcbN9QGxXhYCu92zKIixKobUVt0g_8udPfyWIS7OElPtEuNNr02PQcwKKi7jPg=w331-h220

Time to put the chicken on the braai. On a hot fire as they will finish in the sauce anyway
zCwSpvBIHzRAM9Pon2SSoA9-TwiCFnY_JRJCS61cC4TEvJ2_SEzeeVllwKLNDcz9AH0T9mpXcZYZEQ=w331-h220

And finish in the sauce (gravy)
9krzg-QEquc2t_Um1KUxRoqTcIPcCKT6JN-SX3ZGWRwIfnpj9DpBpP5SGWuX7gothuYj9hOd4f6DZw=w331-h220

And it all came out pretty good!

Looks pretty tasty, that a well known dish over there?

We have a fair amount of Indian restaurants, and chicken tikka masala features on all their menu's (it's the English colonial influence)

Love Tikka Masala that looks great! I've been wanting to try this. Nice work!

I love the way you showed it all coming together! Nicely done!

Going to steal that recipe and make some with paneer so the veggie girl can eat with us.

Thanks all, it did come out very well.
Should work fine with paneer.

One thing I forgot in the original description is that I did use the marinade with all the spices in the sauce. Safe in my opinion as I cooked it through for a good 15 minutes or so.

I have never tried this before but looks wonderful, thanks for posting it as I will have to give this a try.

Any time anyone speaks the words tikka masala......I know they have my wife's attention. LOL

Great looking job!:clap2:

We have a fair amount of Indian restaurants, and chicken tikka masala features on all their menu's (it's the English colonial influence)

Allegedly invented in Glasgow (Scotland). A customer claimed their chicken curry was too dry so the chef dumped in a tin of tomato soup, cream and spices.
Proved so pupular that it became a staple on the menu:grin:

The full recipe is a bit difficult to give as I did not write down the amounts. Sorry.

As far as I remember, I marinated chicken thighs in yoghurt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili and a bit of fish sauce (for salt content. Not an Indian ingredient, but what the heck).

I fried onions and garlic in ghee till soft
Added fresh tomatoes (you can use canned) and cooked for a bit.

Then I took the chicken out of the marinate onto the grill and cooked at fairly high heat till nicely charred. They don't need to be cooked through, so very simple.

I added the marinade to the onion mixture and cooked it and while simmering I added the chicken and left it simmering till the chicken was cooked through and through.

That's all

Back