Smoking Wild Boar question?

BigAl

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My drinking buddie has some wild boar meat that we are gonna smoke in my dera.

:?: Has anyone Qed wild boar meat?

Suggestions?

Looks like it has less fat than regular pork.

Make sure it's dead before you try to put it in the smoker.

I tried it once. I used some Grub-Rub on the loin, stuffed it with some garlic cloves, mopped it with some apple juice, white wine, pepper mixture and it turned out pretty good. Everything else was fairly tough and stringy, which I'm told is normal for an older boar. If I do another I'll make sure I marinate it well to tenderize it some.

I would be draping some bacon over it.

Southern Flavor makes a wild game seasoning. Has anyone tried that yet?

Wild boar? o' yes. Me and two buddies won"The Peoples Choice" Award in the Alabama Wildlife Federation cookoff this past fall with a wild hog. We used a light marinade with fresh sliced fruits(apples, oranges, pineapple), key.. wrap in foil due to the lack of fat in the meat. It will get very dry and stringy. Also cook long and slow taking care to get the meat hot enough to kill any bacteria that may be present(Its wild you know) There is no way to cook an old boar that is decent to my knowledge. They have a smell that just won't die. Females 80 pounds or less are best.
O'Yea, Fred McCormick, co-owner of the Southern Flavor operation is a personal friend of mine. So I have tried the Wild Game Seasoning. It is very good on venson. Fred and I are in the same hunting club so I get to share with him some of the things said about his seasonings. Fred is a lawyer by trade but his first love is cooking and he is good at at.
MikeG:eek:

MIKE...my buddy...i just loved the garlic, charbroil, and cajun flavors of southern flavor that Bill sent me! since you know the owner...how about an even BETTER price for the group?!

FiveLombardis,

Don't tread on that thread. We get great pricing on So Flav already. Mike is responsible for introducing us to both Southern Flavor and to Dreamland sauce. He's already doen his part for the group.

We pay a cheaper price than Mike does when he walks into his local market.

So they're not going to give it to us less than cost, and we are down to like $5.30 for a 15oz bottle (not the 3oz that you got) Mike pays $8.38 at the piggly wiggly. Thats a pretty good discount.

racer_81 said:
So.....how do we get this discount?

Buy a case.

I'll post the wholesale sheet when I dig it up.

I'll see who is interested in some 3 packs, or 4 packs, then we'll order a case.

willkat98 said:
FiveLombardis,

Don't tread on that thread. We get great pricing on So Flav already. Mike is responsible for introducing us to both Southern Flavor and to Dreamland sauce. He's already doen his part for the group.

We pay a cheaper price than Mike does when he walks into his local market.

So they're not going to give it to us less than cost, and we are down to like $5.30 for a 15oz bottle (not the 3oz that you got) Mike pays $8.38 at the piggly wiggly. Thats a pretty good discount.

OOOHHHH....i didn't realize that Mike was the one that got us the initial discount! sorry. yeah, Mike, don't mess with the current discount.

To clarify:

A) Don't type while doing the JD Mod. I went on a rant without beaing clear.

B) its not a negotiated discount, cuz they allow us wholesale pricing.

C) MikeG's contribution: Mike and I have known each other for 4 or 5 years. 3 years ago or so, we got to talking about smoking and cooking. Then we started sending each other stuff, just like the trading group. He'd send me a box of hickory from his yard, I'd send him a 6pack of Sweet Baby Rays. We sould send frozen meats in cooler packs back and forth. Hell, he'd send me some whiskey from the South, and I'd send him some Yukon from up north.

Well, with one of his first gifts, he sent me Southern Flavor Red. I was hooked. Got my neighbor hooked. The he sent me Dreamland sauce. Same thing, hooked. 2 years later this group started. So I got as many of you hooked on So Flav as possible, along with the Dreamland.

Sooo. Mike was invariably responsible for our addictions. Don't blame me, I am just the nut that sent some to 65 people.

So, pretty soon, I will start a seperate thread. One on how you's guys are using your So Flav, and then see about going in on a group order for some wholesale pricing.

Thats it. I'm off my soap box. Gotta go back to work.

MikeG said:
Wild boar? o' yes. Me and two buddies won"The Peoples Choice" Award in the Alabama Wildlife Federation cookoff this past fall with a wild hog. We used a light marinade with fresh sliced fruits(apples, oranges, pineapple), key.. wrap in foil due to the lack of fat in the meat. It will get very dry and stringy. Also cook long and slow taking care to get the meat hot enough to kill any bacteria that may be present(Its wild you know) There is no way to cook an old boar that is decent to my knowledge. They have a smell that just won't die. Females 80 pounds or less are best.
O'Yea, Fred McCormick, co-owner of the Southern Flavor operation is a personal friend of mine. So I have tried the Wild Game Seasoning. It is very good on venson. Fred and I are in the same hunting club so I get to share with him some of the things said about his seasonings. Fred is a lawyer by trade but his first love is cooking and he is good at at.
MikeG:eek:

Thanks for your info! :D
I emailed your post to my Pal and he decided to have the wifie slow cook the wild boar in the crock pot as she has done it the past. :!:

Back