Modded OK Joe Highland

SmokinFisherman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finally got everything I need (almost)...
Horizon convection plate
Welded two halves of fire box together and welded to cook chamber
Welded latches to cook chamber
90* elbow to lower stack (not permanent)
Lava lock gaskets on firebox and cook chamber
10x10x10 fire basket (on order from horizon)
iGrill2 (2 meat probes & 2 ambient probes)
Backlit (blue) Thermopen

Seasoned today for 4 hours @ 275-300
First cook tomorrow
For some reason I can't attach more than one pic right now and I need to remedy this so I can show off my handy work lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 112
Looks good - I like those gaskets!

How even were the temps? I noticed the convection plate does not go all the way across?

I made my own and it made a big difference. Curious how that one works compared to this

View attachment 111567

You are gonna have a whole bunch of fun with that!

Last edited:
Looks good - I like those gaskets!

How even were the temps? I noticed the convection plate does not go all the way across?

I made my own and it made a big difference. Curious how that one works compared to this

View attachment 111567

You are gonna have a whole bunch of fun with that!

At the most the temp difference was 22* the closest I got was a 13* difference. So I would say that's pretty good?!

Run them further across and you will see even closer temps. I ran mine,leaving about 6" at the far end from the fire box and can keep within 10*. Usually less. Have to play with the spacing a bit,but will find it with some experimenting. I used tuning plates.

With my home made, I actually moved the hot side from the fire box side to the exhaust side. I put a few pieces of expanded metal over the largest holes and I can get it within 5°. If I want a hot side, I just take them out.

I stumbled on it by trial and error, but it works?

The tuning plates look like a lot less work and cost

I like all you guys mods. I just ordered a convection plate from smokermods.com and all the gasket material to seal one of these up. ordered one from lowe's and waiting for it to come in. I will need to look them over at the store for quality issues before I take it home. I like the idea of welding everything together. :thumb:

Back