First time brisket advice?

bbqshane

Reaction score
Brethren, tomorrow I am attempting my first beef brisket.
It's about 9lbs. I have some assorted rubs for pork
and bought a coffee rub. Any suggestions to get it really
moist and tasty?

Practice......lots of delicious practice!!

Seriously though, check out bludawgs method. Go On Youtube and see Aaron Franklin's videos on smoking briskets. Good luck and post pics and questions you will have after your first attempt.

9# seems small for a full packer seems large for a flat. How is it labeled- maybe just the Point?

I'm not sure to be honest. Butcher said smaller cows give 8-10lbs, bigger cows bigger brisket.

I get called "the baby killer" for cooking those 8LB-10LB briskets. I like them because at my house only me and 1 of my daughters eats brisket. If I cook a 15 pounder I will be eating brisket for a week solid. Not a bad thing but if you cook 2 a month you kind of get a little tired of them.

I got one today, it will be my first brisket. It is a full packer at 9.75 lbs. Small I know but I did not want to screw up a big one on the first try. BBQShane, just do what I am going to do---I am going to take all of these good folks advice on this awesome forum--I have been reading their experience for about two months now, I think that with that approach the cook will turn out OK!

Jack

Awesome. Just pulled it at 201. Temp. Probe goes in like butter. I can't get pics to upload for some reason, (trying from my phone) but cook went great. 6.5 hrs or so, varying Temps between 225 and 285, mostly at 250 range. Hickory throughout. I'm going to let it rest for an hour while I get sides ready.

Back