First time Butts

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Bought an 8 pounder at $1.19 yesterday, and then thought, its going to take the same amount of lump for two so went back and got another one. This is the first time butt on the ceramic for me, and actually the first time on a grill/smoker of any kind. Did a lot of reading and decided on the dry brine, so rubbed both with kosher sea salt, wrapped them tight in plastic wrap and back in the fridge. First question is should I leave them as is overnight, or put the dry rub on tonight. I plan on putting them on at 225 to 250, using probes for the meat and ambient. Next question, does the stall happen every time? I don't plan on foiling so I want to wait out the stall if it happens. Next question concerns rest time. Should I foil them for the rest, and how long should I plan for rest before pulling it. The final question is the most important of all, how many bloody mary's does it take to cook 16 pounds of pork butt? Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike

Bought an 8 pounder at $1.19 yesterday, and then thought, its going to take the same amount of lump for two so went back and got another one. This is the first time butt on the ceramic for me, and actually the first time on a grill/smoker of any kind. Did a lot of reading and decided on the dry brine, so rubbed both with kosher sea salt, wrapped them tight in plastic wrap and back in the fridge. First question is should I leave them as is overnight, or put the dry rub on tonight. I plan on putting them on at 225 to 250, using probes for the meat and ambient. Next question, does the stall happen every time? I don't plan on foiling so I want to wait out the stall if it happens. Next question concerns rest time. Should I foil them for the rest, and how long should I plan for rest before pulling it. The final question is the most important of all, how many bloody mary's does it take to cook 16 pounds of pork butt? Thanks in advance for your input.
Mike

1. You can rub the night before or I usually rub mine while my cooker is coming up to temps.
2. Yes the stall happens every time. But the higher your cook temp the faster it will push through the stall.
3. Yes, let them cool for 15-20 minutes to stop cooking and then wrap in foil to rest.
4. No clue but let us know when you finish and find out...lol

I would cook them closer to 280... It will plow through the stall much better at a higher temp. Gonna take forever cooking at 225.
Good luck either way man.

Brine??? A butt???Hope you like ham:icon_bugeyedAt 225 you'll need a Gal of vodka 8lb but is like a 12hr cook, I rest mine on the counter unwraped until it's cool enough to pull with out getting 3rd deg burns, I rub mine while the pit is warming up

Back