• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

first comp turn ins

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A few pics of our first comp turn ins.

Tents setup.
IMG_2828_sm.JPG

Pits ready. We were there hours before the guys next to us decided to park their kia 2 feet from our fire boxes. Hey...it's your paint job.
IMG_2831_sm.JPG

Brethren banner flying proud.
IMG_2845_sm.JPG

Interested to see what people think of for turn in scores compared to what the judges thought. A few of the judges were pretty generous. We got one on two categories though that was just hateful. Had to be the same person.

Chicken
IMG_2837_sm.JPG

Ribs
IMG_2839_sm.JPG

Pork
IMG_2841_sm.JPG

Brisket
IMG_2843_sm.JPG

chicken.. 7. not uniform in size or color. maybe as low as 6 depending on real life.

ribs 7. 8 if i was generous and it looked better than the picture. You need to strive for a professional looking cut. Details count! 3rd rib from the right looks like the knife went wobbly on ya.

pork hard to tell, but it sure looks comfy in there. 7 if the pork looked moist and not mushy.

Brisket 7. DETAILS GRASSHOPPER.. next time line them up perfectly. Make the slices fit together even if u fan them, they should be evenly spaced and squared.

sorry.. u asked.. :)

Brisket 7. DETAILS GRASSHOPPER.. next time line them up perfectly. Make the slices fit together even if u fan them, they should be evenly spaced and squared.

His pants were probably falling down at the time.

<going to my room>

Chicken: 6 - Trim your pieces to get them uniform in size. They look better if they are all the same size. Don't be afraid to trim them down.
Try to get some sheen and uniform color.
Ribs: Probably 7 - try to get more meat than garnish. Make the meat the focal point.
Pork: 7 - Again, fill the box, more meat than garnish. The meat looks good and uniform. Pork is the hardest for me. Make the meat the first thing that jumps out to them when they open the box.
Brisket: 7 - As Phil said, make the pieces uniform. Every little detail matters.
All in all not bad for your first contest. Way better than my first. Practice, practice, practice.............

Your boxes look nice and carefully done. I agree with everything mentioned thus far but also, if you're doing pulled pork, you MUST get some bark in there. There may be some color in "real life" but I don't see it in the photo. Always, always, always... MORE MEAT! Fill the box!!!

Some of the best garnish I've ever seen. Unfortunately, that's the first thing I noticed - esspecially on the pork and ribs. Adding a ring of chunked bark around the pork would give some great color and fill the box with meat.

Chicken - agree with the comments from above

Brisket - I think this is the best of the 4 - I saw the meat first. A few details such as better line up would be even better, but I liked how filled the box by laying them down. Good smoke ring (even though we are not suppose to judge that), but I don't see much bark from the angle you have the meat placed. Maybe an 8th piece would have kept the box full and stacked the meat a little more vertically so the judge would see the bark. (Hard to tell from pictures)

hey it looks better than what i have done, ya wanna be my box guy in a few wks.

everything has been said but there is one thing missing in the brisket box needs an paper towel:-D

york

In the rib box I only see four ribs. Is it just my eyes or what.
I must admit, the firat thing I seen was the color. I like to see a nice almond color on chicken and ribs. Hey, keeep on keepin on, and dont be discouraged.

Back