Enhanced ribs for $1.59#?

I would.All I can get for a reasonable price($1.99 for spares&2.99 for bb)are enhanced. They always come out great and I have yet to have "hammy" ribs. I actually wanted "hammy" ribs once so I got them and now that's all I get.

If I cooked comp style, wrapping in margarine and sugar, then saucing heavily-maybe. As I do not, NO.

Pretty much all I find is 'enhanced'. Tastes great - not even sure what 'hammy' tastes like. Never had anyone complain of an off taste.

If all the other ribs were over $2.00/lb I would knock out some $1.59/lb enhanced ribs.

Over the years, I've cooked them many times, because that was all that I could find easily. There are some brands that always taste "hammy", like Tyson. Others just turn out with less flavor from the rub, to me.
For a long time, considering the time and effort I put into the cook, I am willing to pay for unenhanced.
Also, there is a hidden cost. Part of the per pound cost of enhanced ribs is the enhancing liquid. In this case, you are paying $1.59/lb for a liquid that is poured down the sink. A figure aquarists use is 10 pounds per gallon when trying to determine the weight of a salt water fish tank.

As you know $1.59 these days is a great price. Grab a slab or two and cook'em up. If they meet your approval grab a few more before the sale is off. I pass on the 'enhanced' but that just maybe the bbq snob in me.

I don't like the hammy flavor of enhanced pork that is to be smoked. Plus the salt content really does a number on me as I get older(that stings a little to type).

HOWEVER, at that price I'd definitely give them a shot for some lower heat direct grilling. Or all sorts of pork dishes where you can use the salt content to help season the surrounding food or sauce.

For that price I'd be all over them... BTW. Who has them for that price???

Baker's (Kroger) spare ribs. $1.59/lb. I will be stocking up on them this weekend. I guess I have never had any complaints about my ribs. I account for the brine/salty flavor and don't add any salt to my rub. Works for me. You guys should leave the all alone, bad juju. :mrgreen:

And, I am particularly sensitive to the salt taste and don't like salt as a flavor. I have used these ribs before and they are not salty when I have made them. And to add to the decision making process, when baby backs are $3.99/lb and un-enhanced is about the same price, I buy them all day. Did recently win a small competition with some also.....

I've never tried this but when I cure Bacon, Canadian Bacon & Ham I always do a soak out. For those who complain about the "hammy" flavor or higher sodium content a soak out might help??? Cheers!!!

I used to buy enhanced all the time not knowing any better. For that price, I would stock up for football parties or huge gatherings. I prefer unenhanced nowadays, but I can't afford to give those away.

Back