Discussion Thread -> "Turkey" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Turkey"

This Was Bluesman's entry in the 2013
Thanksgiving Throwdown.

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "On a Budget"Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Shagdog said:
Next TD

Turkey!

Hopefully that should get us some entries, everyone is making them anyway, right?

That's right, Shag - everyone makes turkey on Thanksgiving. Except for peeps of course! :heh:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/21 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/1/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/1.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Smoked Turkey Osso Buco on the OTG

Please accept this as my oficial entry into the Maiden Voyage of the Turkey Throwdown, can't believe it hasn't been done before!

They don't sell turkey legs here, only the leg and thigh combined. I now have a dedicated band saw for cutting ribs (beef) and other meat specialties and decided to make some turkey Osso Buco.

I sawed the leg into portions and deboned the thigh meat and steaked it out into filets.

I reserved the fat and shank bone for a stock. Setup the OTG indirect and added some walnut.

Seasoned up the meat with salt and pepper

and on they went

Pulled them after about 20 minutes and the IT was °130

Added the meat to my pot of carrots, leeks, onions and garlic,

It looked like this!

After simmering for and hour it was time to pull the meat out and thicken the stock for my gravy.

Plated with mashed taters and the gravy. My polling pic if you please!

The obligatory fork shot

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, Hope you have a great holiday weekend.

Jed

Oh. My. God.

DSC_0056_zps29afd5ab.jpg

That looks DELICIOUS.

Official Entry

Please accept this as my official entry in the "Turkey" TD

With the Thunder and Lightning we had I was not sure this was going to kick off but it worked out.

Had the Smoker loaded with 9 Turkeys this years and a small batch of Jerky just cause!

The full cook is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3104619#post3104619

How about this for an entry shot
View attachment 104573

I love how the netting makes the cross hatch pattern (thanks Chris) and how it kept the bird all tucked in. Will be using these from now on.

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Please except this as our humble entry...

Prepared a 14# butterball.

Seasoned with some TC Creole butter and Cajun Seasoning.

In the fryer @ 350* for 50 min....

Sorry! No pics when pulled from fryer, we were too hungry!

Plated.....

And......

PrincessofQ and myself are very grateful for all we have! We hope that you and your family are as blessed as we are! God bless!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

From the Carnes Family!

Not too energetic today. Whole family has the flu. Was tempted to postpone thanksgiving till the weekend, but we had prepped everything. Please accept this as my entry photo.

No brine. No stuffing. Basted with a mixture of oil, butter, pepper, garlic, thyme, and dried chopped onions.

IMG_20141127_140956083_HDR1.jpg

Here's my entry. Spatchcocked 21lb bird looks small on my giant cutting board. Dry brined then rubbed w EVOO and herbs. Smoked w Bourbon Barrel staves on my 22" Weber kettle. Delicious. Should have take. A better pic!

Last edited:
Entry to turkey throwdown

I may as well throw my hat into the ring.

Thanksgiving dinner. Some people don't like food touching, I'm not one if them

May not win any appearance awards but it was good.

Here's a pic mid cook, we'll use it for polling.

Thanksgiving resulted in 42lbs of turkey for 18 of us... I smoked a 15lb, there was a 13lb fried, and a 24lb in the oven.

Dry brine overnight with Oakridge Game Changer. Injected with unsalted, butter, rubbed exterior with olive oil/herb mixture. Smoked for 3hrs at 325 with KBB and Mapple MojoBrick. Glazed at the end with a mixture of jellied cranberry sauce, orange juice, and Swamp Boys bbq sauce (green bottle).

It didn't suck :mrgreen:

20141127_062811.jpg

20141127_102207.jpg

20141127_115209.jpg

and use the one below for my official entry pic

20141127_131118.jpg

Since I did my first bird of the season before the TD started, please accept this one as my official entry. Pooling pic noted in caption.

Still had two birds in the fridge (1 frozen and one thawed), so I decided to throw the thawed one in the kamado after I finished lunch.

Butter, garlic, salt and parley.

Deep dish pizza pan makes a great shallow roaster and doubles as my drip pan sitting on top of the pizza stone when I am using the deflector.

Small Weber charcoal grate on top of a cooling rack to get the bird out of the liquid.

You're a pretty bird aren't you? ***Please use this pic for polling***

I hate carving turkey!

I injected a Butterball with Creole Butter and rubbed skin with EVOO and salt and pepper. Smoked on my Weber OTS with a mix of KBB and lump with Apple and Pecan wood at around 325 degrees for 2.5 hours. (first hour was breast down) Let it rest for 30 minutes and discovered is was the most moist and flavorful turkey my family has ever tasted. Wonderful!
turkey_zps632c8932.jpg

Back