Discussion Thread -> "Apples" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Our new TD category is...

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apples!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Apple_Bushel_zps3137d88d.jpg

As chosen by Ron_L for winning the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I'd Hit That" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Throwdown.

[/FONT]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Ron_L said:
My choice for the next one...

Apples

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/7 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 11/17/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 11/17.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
This is my offical entry to the "Apples" Throwdown.

With the Apples Throwdown going on, I decided to mix up a personal favorite and include some apples.

Marinaded some skirt steak in some Goya Mojo Criolla for about 20 hours and sliced up some onions and red bell peppers.

784C36E0-6839-4D55-AF50-6107C874F043.jpg

To be elegible for the Throwdown, I got some Honeycrisp apples and sliced them into ~1/2" slices and cored the slices. Gave them a mist of EVOO and dusting of kosher salt and black pepper on each side.

87394B0E-4730-405B-993F-F195EF3AC464.jpg

BB3CCD79-3316-4DD7-AA24-8F90A93B5D5F.jpg

Got the Kettle all fired up with some B&B Oak Lump charcoal. It was my first time using this lump and I came away impressed with the large chunks in the bag and the clean burn. Might become my go-to charcoal for direct grilling.

64B65B3D-1F71-4973-880C-79E0596CB32A.jpg

Once the grill was hot, I threw the beef on the grill.

A02B95C8-420A-407F-A98B-894E9151C281.jpg

As it got close to finishing, I tossed on the apples.

9B951374-A33B-4B56-9414-41CD4290A052.jpg

For serving, I sliced up the apples to top the fajitas, along with homemade guacamole, homemade salsa, cheese, and the peppers and onions that were sauted in butter and Cattleman's Steakhouse rub rolled up in a store bought tortilla.

3C28DB91-8434-425F-B972-53C7DD04FBC0.jpg

The above is my entry shot.

C2AF0278-D1D5-4303-B2B3-C72B0D1F654B.jpg

The apples gave a nice sweet contrast and added a nice touch. Tasha and my FIL were both very complimentary of the addition and I thought it was a nice fit as well. Will definitely do this again!

Well, that is a wrap, folks! Shame we didn't have more entries...

Look for my poll in a few!

Yeah... I'm a loser...
loser.gif

I had an entry planned for last night but I wasn't feeling great so we ordered pizza instead.

But, I thought since fall is apple time that more folks would join in. Maybe winter squash would have been a better choice.

Yeah... I'm a loser...
loser.gif

I had an entry planned for last night but I wasn't feeling great so we ordered pizza instead.

But, I thought since fall is apple time that more folks would join in. Maybe winter squash would have been a better choice.
Perhaps...Moose and I figured apples would be more familiar and available to folks out of the 2 choices you gave. Hell, I even had some great things in mind with winter squash when I saw your 2 proposed options, but thought Apples might pull in more folks, even if it was just dutch oven cobblers and pies.

Looks like Thoey and I get to :boxing: it out! :becky:

Heh, I kinda forgot about this TD since there wasn't anyone bumping the thread to the top...

Good luck Peeps...

Perhaps...Moose and I figured apples would be more familiar and available to folks out of the 2 choices you gave. Hell, I even had some great things in mind with winter squash when I saw your 2 proposed options, but thought Apples might pull in more folks, even if it was just dutch oven cobblers and pies.

Looks like Thoey and I get to :boxing: it out! :becky:

I'm not complaining about the decision. I thought the same as you guys.

Maybe my apple idea will show up in the Comfort Foods TD :-D

I'm not complaining about the decision. I thought the same as you guys.

Maybe my apple idea will show up in the Comfort Foods TD :-D
I didn't take it as such, so no worries....looking forward to seeing your apple cook!

Historically, we mods would suggest another category if we felt the one proposed might not get a lot of entries.

This time I decided to NOT suggest another category to Ron and just let it unfold for the simple reason that it IS a good category, and who cares if we get less entries?

Even though that was the net result, we got to see two really fine entries, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters!

I agree that it was a good theme, my bad that I didn't get in on it.

Peeps, that was an interesting way to use apples. I wondered how grilled apples would taste with guacamole, thank you for answering that before I could ask! If Tasha, the FIL and you thought it was a nice addition and you plan to make it again, my question is answered. I'm thinking the salt on the apple slices would have added a new dimension to the flavour -- did you find salting the apples really brought them into the fold?

I agree that it was a good theme, my bad that I didn't get in on it.

Peeps, that was an interesting way to use apples. I wondered how grilled apples would taste with guacamole, thank you for answering that before I could ask! If Tasha, the FIL and you thought it was a nice addition and you plan to make it again, my question is answered. I'm thinking the salt on the apple slices would have added a new dimension to the flavour -- did you find salting the apples really brought them into the fold?
The apples by themselves had a nice sweet and salty flavor. I don't think they would have needed to be salted to be used in this way, or even peppered since the other ingredients in the tacos had quite a bit of flavor on their own. In the tacos, the apples provided a nice contrast in flavors, but not so contrasting that it didn't work. It would be like if the beef was finished with a sweet glaze before being sliced, if that make sense...

Yes, thanks peeps, that does help. Looks like apples are not just good with pork or in turkey stuffing, they are more versatile than that. Thanks for sharing the experience. :thumb:

Back