Discussion Thread -> "Tri-Tip" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Tri-Tip"

DSC_0009.jpg

This was Hitman0321's stunning entry in last year's Tri-Tip Feast Throwdown!

As chosen by Thoey1963 for winning the "Apples" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

THoey1963 said:
Since everyone is going to stuff themselves with fowl this week, I think we need to go beefy for the next TD. I see several cook threads for Tri-Tip and there are always posts saying they need to try making it. So, let's give them a reason.

Tri-Tip - Can be the meat by itself, or as the main ingredient to a dish / meal.
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/28 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/8/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 12/8.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

***The below disclaimer is intended to prevent any and all douchebags from committing any and all forms of douchebaggery in the wrong place. BE ADVISED***

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules WILL be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation.

Last edited:
I think I have a tri-tip in the freezer!

Man, I don't even know if I know how to cook one of these :becky:

They're easy Brad. Lot's of thread here showing how people do them. I like to season it up and do a reverse sear on it. I smoke it to 115* and then throw it on my gasser as high as it will go to char the outside. Make sure to slice it against the grain. The following image shows how the grain will run in a typical TriTip. Just make sure you slice it 90* of the lines in the image.

Attachments

• SliceTriTip.jpg
    SliceTriTip.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 75
None in the freezer, so I was planning on sitting this one out (SWMBO just gave me the look when I told her I needed a Tri-Tip). There I was at WinCo yesterday afternoon though, and what was sitting there? A well marbled (and evenly thick) 4 pound choice roast that needed sold today so it had been marked down to $2.99/lb. I gave her my best puppy dog eyes, and she relented. Got up early this morning, and started my "trisket." Somebody has to represent the "trisket" nuts! Running it super low (225) in the portable pooper since the wind is supposed to get up to 30 MPH today. Should be ready and rested for lunch.

Ordered two on Monday, will pick them up on Saturday. In France the tri-tip is called aiguillette baronne and is left whole as a roast, Just in time.

Back