• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking and pregnant women

PorkSword

Reaction score
Of course everyone knows about smoking tobacco and pregnant women, but my wife read somewhere that pregnant women shouldn't eat smoked meat!!

Have any of you guys heard this before?
Please tell me it's nonsense.

I don't want to give up Q when my wife gets pregnant!!!

Both my parents smoked and drank before I was conceived, my mom smoked and drank all the way during her pregnancy, and they smoked the whole time I lived at home. I was born at 9 lbs., 13 ounces, and I was 21" long. Now, I'm 6' 3" and 220 lbs. Both my eyes are the same color and I drink like a fish, eat like a hog - and I don't smoke.
There's a load of crap there, methinks. It's not a good thing to smoke, but the danger to the developing child? Hmmph.

:twisted:

Arlin_MacRae said:
Both my parents smoked and drank before I was conceived, my mom smoked and drank all the way during her pregnancy, and they smoked the whole time I lived at home. I was born at 9 lbs., 13 ounces, and I was 21" long. Now, I'm 6' 3" and 220 lbs. Both my eyes are the same color and I drink like a fish, eat like a hog - and I don't smoke.
There's a load of crap there, methinks. It's not a good thing to smoke, but the danger to the developing child? Hmmph.

:twisted:

Good point Arlin.

By the way, what's that thing growing out of your forehead?

:shock:
:D

My wife is almost 4 months pregnant and cannot stand the smell of the smoker or even be near any smoked meats.

Let her manage her pregnancy the way that makes her feel good about the whole thing. If she wants to avoid smoked meet then let her. However, I think what you have heard applies to meat with injected sodium nitrate like ham, bacon or lunch meat. That was the scare a few years back but I don't think there was much good science to support it. It probably came from one of the militant vegan groups. Alcohol and tobacco reduce the blood flow to the baby and probably should be avoided. But I think that they only raise the probability of problems and do not cause problems in most cases. If tobacco and alcohol caused problems in every case then we would have gone extinct long ago. Without the use of alcohol in our drinks ancient humans would never have survived in large groups. Fermentation for alcoholic beer and wine is what allowed cities to develop. Before that cholera and such killed most people that tried to live in large groups. In the middle ages the monks made beer and wine that was mixed with water (3:1) to avoid disease.

Wayne said:
Let her manage her pregnancy the way that makes her feel good about the whole thing. If she wants to avoid smoked meet then let her. However, I think what you have heard applies to meat with injected sodium nitrate like ham, bacon or lunch meat. That was the scare a few years back but I don't think there was much good science to support it. It probably came from one of the militant vegan groups. Alcohol and tobacco reduce the blood flow to the baby and probably should be avoided. But I think that they only raise the probability of problems and do not cause problems in most cases. If tobacco and alcohol caused problems in every case then we would have gone extinct long ago. Without the use of alcohol in our drinks ancient humans would never have survived in large groups. Fermentation for alcoholic beer and wine is what allowed cities to develop. Before that cholera and such killed most people that tried to live in large groups. In the middle ages the monks made beer and wine that was mixed with water (3:1) to avoid disease.

Boy, I learn something everyday on this site. My wife's pregnant and she loves smoked foods. Had spares and turkey last weekend. I agree with Wayne about the packaged meats and sodiaum nitrates, that seems to be the concern. Still wouldn't want her to booze it up or smoke, why take a chance? Other no's are certain types of fish(swordfish) and raw eggs. Probably shouldn't eat real rare meat either.

My next door neighbor was testing my early Q cooking all the way through her pregancy. I had read the same thing about smoked meats, but it didn't stop her from eating it, and the baby is just fine.
If you doubt it, then don't do it. Your mileage may vary.

MMy MoMMm attte BBBBQ the hhhoollllle tim she wwwwaaass pppregggnannnt annndddd I arrree fin.

Brothers, ever wonder how our ancestors got us here without all this modern medical bull shi$?

Our ancestors had nothing to do with it. It was all a matter of evolution. That is why most of the time pregnancy and motherhood usually work out pretty well.

BigAl said:
Brothers, ever wonder how our ancestors got us here without :lol: all this modern medical bull shi$?

I agree...Jesus Christ....can we do anything without it causing cancer or other health risks....i'm no doctor, but been in the healthcare industry for several years...never known anyone to come down with something from smoked meats.

willkat98 said:
BigAl said:
Brothers, ever wonder how our ancestors got us here without all this modern medical bull shi$?

What do you mean modern? My doctor still uses leeches.

Theodoric of York, Medieval Doctor. Mod.

Back