What to do if it is done early...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sitting here with my second cup of coffee and trying to figure out the timing for the turkey and the ham and the one thing that is running through my mind is "What if I am wrong" :-D It the bird is running late, I can adjust things on the fly, so that's not too bad. I'll just open another bottle of wine and no one will care :rolleyes:

BUT... What if it is done early. This isn't butt or a brisket that I can hold in a cooler. What would you folks do if your bird was done and nothing else was ready?

That's the question I'm asking myself as well. I'm approaching done and we've still got some dressing, casseroles, and a ham that will take about an hour a piece.

A buddy I work with who's an accomplished smoker, says he will pull his and set them aside, then reheat in the oven when it's time to eat. He claims this doesn't dry them out... I don't know.....

Keep it basted to keep it form drying out, and above the safe food temp and you should be ok........or.....you could just eat turkey.....:twisted:

Foil it good and hold it. I went out of town to see family last weekend and that's what they did. Turned out great.

If its done to early slice it up and keep in a foil pan with foil alittle juice...and warm

Depending on how early you're talking - foil it good, stick it in a cooler and you should be able to hold it an hour without any problems. Held one for an hour last week for our company pot luck - still piping hot when I pulled back the foil. Probably going to have to do the same today.

Have the same problem...was told about 30 minutes a pound, so for my 15 lbder, was thinking 7 hrs, but got done in 5...looks beautiful and 170 in both breastes and thighs......so I foiled real tight with a little basting sauce and hoping for the best....will let you know how it turns out

Cambro!! And if it starts to dry out, inject some of the juice in the pan back into it! Did that earlier this week with a bird that I over cooked a bit.

Last year I held mine in a foiled in a cambro for two hours or so and it was still pretty good and still plenty hot.

I've double wrapped in foil and coolered for 2 hours...no prob. Earlier is always better for me than too late, esp with all the other dishes being prepared for Thanksgiving.

Mine was finished 3+ hrs. early today. They definitely cook much faster when brined. I threw another turkey on about an hour ago so I have a back up coming off closer to when everyone shows up.

Thanks for the great info guys. Looks like I will be in the same boat here very shortly.

Don't do what what I did last year.My butcher told me to put it in the clothes dryer for 60mins on high. It did not work at all. Plus the filter was completley clogged with skin.LOL.

Foil it good and hold it. I went out of town to see family last weekend and that's what they did. Turned out great.

Ron...I agree with bigabyte. Just consider it an extended resting time. :wink:

My first is already out of the fryer, family has had their samples and it's about to be vacupacked. Only 3 more to go!!

That's easy.
Set your thermal immersion circulator to 165*, vacuum seal your cooked turkey into a giant bag, then submerge into the water bath. It will stay at a perfect 165* indefinitely.
You have a thermal immersion circulator, right? :-D

I held mine in a hot cooler for couple of hours last weekend, she came out nice and hot.

RonL you have received good advice here. #1 answer came from you, serve more wine my friend :biggrin:

Back