Knives....

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I had a set of Wustof knives for well over 10 years, but unfortunately did not care for them properly by sticking them in the dishwasher. They eventually rusted in the handles and broke. After researching and feeling high end knives at many stores, i found alot of those companies are beginning to cut corners and was not impressed with what i saw. Eventually I settled on a set of Schmidt Bros knives. I was blown away by the quality of the materials they use. They hold an edge very well and you get a whetstone with certain sets.

http://www.schmidtbrothers.com

I have several Wustof knives in our collection. I do like the feel of the Wustof Classic, especially their Chef's knife. That was my workhorse knife for years. My personal favorite knives are Shun knives. They have a different sharpening angle than the Wustof and I like the feel of their grip. Quality knives are an investment so take your time on selection and get what feels best in your hand.

Well I already have a fairly large set of Shuns. They were my wife's before we got married. I like them but I like the feel of the Classics a bit better. But I can't see spending that much for a second set of premium knives. I am currently just looking for a set I can keep with my BBQ stuff. That's one reason I like the bag with the Gourmet set. I will go feel them for sure. Just not sure about how well they hold an edge.

I know I'm in the minority on this site but I prefer just plain old food service knives. They work well and I don't have to feel bad about abusing them in a dishwasher or whatever.
Ditto that. I like Dexter Russell. American made, NSF, good handles for my hand, economical and readily available at my local restaurant supply houses. On top of that, I have no problem with mixing and matching brands. For example, I have some Victrinox paring knives to complement my larger DR's.

Dont break the bank on a set. A good chef knife, sharp boning, and a slicer are all i need most of the time. Well except my electric, I can't carve poultry without one.

20 years of working in commercial kitchens and just yesterday I was thinking about how much I like the 8 inch Mercer chefs knife I was using to slice some chicken. Cost like $12 from Webstaurant Store. Nice handle, very nice feel to it, I can replace it yearly and still be in a good price range.

The Wustoff gourmet line is their low end stuff. It won't hold an edge long at all. Out of the 2 choices you posted I would go with the Dexter set any day of the week. I'm sure you're probably paying a premium for that as a "set" and inevitably you are buying things you won't ever use. I would also just look at buying the parts you want from a restaurant supply store or direct from Dexter Russel.

I have all kinds of knives from the high to low end. When I thought it was necessary to bring a full knife roll and all the knives to a competition, I was over thinking it, big time. Now for hacking the knuckles off chicken thighs, I use a cheap ole Sysco cleaver, but would I drool over a nice high end one? Heck yes, but do I need it? Nope.

For precise trimming, I use my Shun paring knife or more often than not my $12 Victorinox NSF 5" boning knife, then I realized, I usually go back to the boning knife for everything. As much as I would love to have more gadgetry, that simple 5" boning knife can do just about everything. I use my grandparent's old 1950's Sabatier 10" carbon steel chef's knife to slice brisket.

I recently fell in love with nakiri blades for home use, since I do a lot of vegetable work in the kitchen, I really dig the vertical chop and pinch grip usage of a nakiri. I find this blade most useful for all purpose, with a rounded nose option for traditional rocker cuts, I can chop, smash, dice and do precise work with this blade better than anything, so I am always shopping out a super high end nakiri just to appease my need for quality in the one weapon I use most.

The Wustoff gourmet line is their low end stuff. It won't hold an edge long at all. Out of the 2 choices you posted I would go with the Dexter set any day of the week. I'm sure you're probably paying a premium for that as a "set" and inevitably you are buying things you won't ever use. I would also just look at buying the parts you want from a restaurant supply store or direct from Dexter Russel.
^^^. This^. Expensive knives are cool. But nobody cares what you paid for them except you.

Wustof knives are superb but the Gourmet set is stamped. I prefer the Classic series which are forged. I also have some very expensive Japanese knives that are harder steel and have more narrow blade angles. Found out that I like the cheaper Classic series better. They are easier to sharpen and the blades are less likely to chip or crack. It is real easy to break a point off the super hardened Japanese knives.

I have a lot of knives, far too many to be reasonable. The knives that travel with me for BBQ and any cooking events I do are the Dexter Russel Sani-safe knives. They are also my preferred knife for wet cutting and meat trimming, where my hands will be wet, gloved or very cold, as the grips are well textured for a secure grip. They take an edge quickly and can be very sharp. Plus, they are not expensive. The other knives I would consider at the ones from Old Hickory by Ontario Knife Company. They are carbon steel, and will rust. But, taken care of, will be very sharp, and the wood handles work well in wet or cold condition.

Back