Sausage maker ?

levi27123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I want to make a all beef no pork sausage my ? Is
Does sheep casing have better snap than hog casings
And is it worth the trouble

I make Aussie snags (all beef) and just use hog casing. But, I don't smoke them, I cook them from raw or freeze them for later.

If you're smoking them, I have NFI, sorry.

I make Aussie snags (all beef) and just use hog casing. But, I don't smoke them, I cook them from raw or freeze them for later.

This is how I do my sausages. I cook and freeze raw. I've never tried sheep casing. Always used hog casings. Been considering getting sheep casings for breakfast sausages.

if you are just cold smoking with cure #1 in the mix or going from raw as stated above the casings will act different depending on how you cook them for instance boiling will not have a snap and frying my increase the snap, grilling can actually make them a bit tough if over cooked, if you are doing things like meat sticks where they are cooked in the smoker you may want to go with sheep casings as they are smaller in diameter but in this case both would have that snap, hope this helps.

Shagdog is right, the size is the main difference, but sheep casings are also more delicate and can break or burst easily if you do not use care when stuffing.

Last edited:
For some reason I get a nice snap from hog casings. Clean and flush them real well, add a little white vinegar and let them soak over night. Work great for polish (smoked).

I found the sheep casing I bought to rip too easily. Maybe it was just the brand though.

I want to make a all beef no pork sausage my ? Is
Does sheep casing have better snap than hog casings
And is it worth the trouble
How are you going to do all beef sausage if you are using hog or sheep casings?

Are you trying to make a kosher or halal sausage?

Sheep casings are fine, but as mentioned above, they are delicate.

I know that there are some sausages made with beef casings (e.g. cervelat), but I have not found any beef casings advertised as edible. Hog casings are the easiest to use IMHO.

Are you trying to make a kosher or halal sausage?

Sheep casings are fine, but as mentioned above, they are delicate.

I know that there are some sausages made with beef casings (e.g. cervelat), but I have not found any beef casings advertised as edible. Hog casings are the easiest to use IMHO.

Interesting, I went and looked up my Hog casing supplier and they have no Beef casings either.
I use Hog only, sheep appear too thin to me.
I guess if you want total non pork product, you would have to go Collagan

recipe?

Beef casing are available, but are not what we think of as a casing. They are much larger in diameter due to the size of the animal,and they go by other names than just a "beef casing" to help define their size. Cows have a different digestive system than pigs and sheep, so the intestines differ and they are also not considered to be "edible" casings. They are thick, leathery, and do not stretch like the edible pork and sheep casings that most of us use. You just couldn't substitute a beef middle for a pork casing, they are vastly different in all manners.

If you are trying to avoid pork casing for religious or health reasons, there is the alternative of edible collagen casings, but they don't provide the "snap" when bitten into.

I use beef bung for capicola, these average 105mm to 110mm in diameter.

Beef middles are a little smaller 55mm to 60mm great for dry salami, summer sausage, and other dry cured sausage.

Some also use beef rounds.

It really all comes down to the type of sausage you are making. The best advice I can give you is to follow a proven recipe which also includes the type of recommended casing.

I have a hank of beef middles that I ordered after reading about Cervelat (http://sausage.wikia.com/wiki/Cervelat) and thinking that I would try to make some. However, I missed the "not edible" part of the description.

Cervelat are traditionally stuffed into "beef intestines" according to the recipes that I found, but I guess that is not the same as middles.

Sooo - I am open to ideas if any of you have suggestions of what I can do with all these middles. :noidea:

Beef casing are available, but are not what we think of as a casing. They are much larger in diameter due to the size of the animal,and they go by other names than just a "beef casing" to help define their size. Cows have a different digestive system than pigs and sheep, so the intestines differ and they are also not considered to be "edible" casings. They are thick, leathery, and do not stretch like the edible pork and sheep casings that most of us use. You just couldn't substitute a beef middle for a pork casing, they are vastly different in all manners.

If you are trying to avoid pork casing for religious or health reasons, there is the alternative of edible collagen casings, but they don't provide the "snap" when bitten into.

I use beef bung for capicola, these average 105mm to 110mm in diameter.

Beef middles are a little smaller 55mm to 60mm great for dry salami, summer sausage, and other dry cured sausage.

Some also use beef rounds.

It really all comes down to the type of sausage you are making. The best advice I can give you is to follow a proven recipe which also includes the type of recommended casing.

I use middles for dry curing all the time. Not sure if you're into that, but they work great for medium sized salamis. Here's a pepperoni I just had finish the other day, stuffed in middles.

I have a hank of beef middles that I ordered after reading about Cervelat and thinking that I would try to make some.

However, I missed the "not edible" part of the description.

Sooo - I am open to ideas if any of you have suggestions of what I can do with all these middles. :noidea:

I should point out that technically speaking they are edible, however as I previously indicated, they are tough and leathery. To eat them would require a lot of cutting and chewing. That is why the casings are typically peeled off before consumption.

Beef middles are about 55mm to 60mm great for stuffing and curing dry salami, summer sausage, and other dry cured sausage. You will see that shagdog has a great example of Pepperoni pictured above (very nice). The thick and very strong fibrous membrane will hold the meat together and it allows the sausage to breath and reduce the internal moisture during the dry cure process.

Back