• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steak Royale vs. Wide Awake Wino Steak

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying 2 recipes, both using the same rub, but different marinades and sauces.

The rub is coffee, brown sugar, ancho, s&p, and the sauces are:
1. coffee, bourbon, molasses, ancho, s&p, butter
2. coffee, wine, molasses, ancho, s&p, butter

The steaks are on the grill now, soon to be joined by asparagus, then we'll see which steak reigns supreme!

The results were good, but the Wide Awake Wino Steak won out over the Steak Royale. The recipe is one I'm working on for a steak recipe contest put on by Beringer, which ends in a trip to Napa Valley and a potential $15,000 prize.

The photos:

The rub...
4533120302_e119a705c9_b.jpg

Steaks put on the grill...
4533120612_130a208c1a_b.jpg

The first fresh asparagus from a local farm...
4532486953_d845ecbb61_b.jpg

Steaks about to come off the grill...
4533121324_723abc90e4_b.jpg

Steak Royale, with Maker's Mark...
4533121682_36e87abecf_b.jpg

Wide Awake Wino Steak...
4533148542_ebe89334f8_b.jpg

Side by side...
4532488763_a8ff882d87_b.jpg

Table is set...
4532488513_dde894dcf3_b.jpg

Aftermath...
4532489075_600a7f8e1a_b.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: B3
Great looking plates Curt.

Not sure how much bourbon or wine was incorporated... just curious..was the difference in taste very noticeable or subtle ?

It was actually pretty noticeable. Not a lot of bourbon, but equal parts coffee and wine.

I've never used Ground Coffee for a Rub,, But I do Marinate Steaks and cuts of Beef In perked coffee, and that is great,, A retired Army Cook I met at a Fair who had a Big Burger Booth told me about it. something they been doing in Army kitchens for a long time...

I've never used Ground Coffee for a Rub,, But I do Marinate Steaks and cuts of Beef In perked coffee, and that is great,, A retired Army Cook I met at a Fair who had a Big Burger Booth told me about it. something they been doing in Army kitchens for a long time...

Coffee has been used for a long time for cooking.. chuckwagons on cattle drives, etc... Redeye gravy is a great thing for breakfast!

Very good looking steaks Curt:thumb:, regular coffee grounds I assume? I wonder how freeze dried would work.

I wouldn't use freeze dried, as that's basically coffee without water. The grounds have a different flavor, as they're just roasted coffee beans ground up; I think they give an earthy flavor.

Excellent looking steaks Curt. Was the bourbon steak not good, or just not as good as the wine steak? They both looked outstanding.

I never would have thought to use coffee grounds as a rub component, even though I use them in greens and peas all the time. Do you think not using nearly as much bourbon liquid as wine liquid could have had an impact?

Looks great! Would Espresso grind work the best or regular/drip grind work. I've got to try that next cook.

I wouldn't use freeze dried, as that's basically coffee without water. The grounds have a different flavor, as they're just roasted coffee beans ground up; I think they give an earthy flavor.

Thanks, I did a coffee and chili encrusted scallop in school....The results were less than I hoped for.

Exceptional job there, Curt! Quite creative, good luck on the recipe contest deal.

Excellent looking steaks Curt. Was the bourbon steak not good, or just not as good as the wine steak? They both looked outstanding.

The whisky steak was still good, as you'll notice none is left of either. The wine was just better.

Deguerre, The whisky was just stronger, so I used less of it. I think the bourbon would go better with pork than steak, as it ended up being sweeter than I would have wanted, I think, but needed a bit of molasses to balance out as a sauce.

I also thinking using the wine helped the steak pair with the same wine very well. :)

Back