Baby Stumps

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi
I just purchased a baby stumps and have a few questions:

1. The first timed I fired it up using a digi Q it took about 3 hours to get to 300 degrees. It was about 25 degrees outside and very windy. Will it take this long each time?

2. Do the wood chunks added to the ash pan need to be soaked prior to putting them in the pan?

3. The lump only lasted about 5 hours while heating up. Will it last longer once it gets to temp?

4. I used a starter cube (BGE) to light the fire. I put the cube on the grate below the coals and lite it. It seemed to work fine. Is there any reason I should not use the starter cube?

5. How much temp difference is there from the bottom right to the top left?

Thanks for the help

I have a stumps on the other end of the spectrum but the same principles apply. I don't use electronics, just normal air intake adjustments to control temp. I found the best way for me to start the pit is by dumping about a half chimney of lit charcoal in the ash pan and adding a chunk of DRY wood on top. That provides a hot coal base to lite the charcoal above it. I can get my xl up to temp this way (without a blower) in about 1.5 hrs, so you should have no problem doing the same with the baby, should take even less time with a blower.

1. No. It shouldn't take as long, the warmer it is.

2. No. Do not soak.

3. No.

4. You can use whatever you like to start it. I use a chimney.

5. If your talking about temps, use frozen biscuits to determine your hot spots.

Happy Smoking

Back