Craigs BBQ Devalls Bluff Arkansas.

Miss Lena's Fried Pies are the Bomb. She opened her place when I was in HS and it was a regular morning stop when I would be going back home from UALR.

Miss Lena opened back in the early 1980's and I tell you they are the Bomb. Miss Lena passed a few years ago but her daughter and granddaughter are running the show and keeping it going.

I 'll be eating some Craigs in March when I go hope to celebrate my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary.

One of my absolute favorites.

From the Southern Foodways Alliance

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAphWgaLAk"]Robert Craig - Craig's Bar-B-Q - YouTube[/ame]

BTW, There are TWO pie shops in town. Mary Thomas' is just across the street. Ask the folks at Craigs to point you the way.

Here's a little more about one of my favorites.

"What is Arkansas barbecue?
Friday, April 27th, 2012
So how does one define Arkansas barbecue?

When I took on the task of writing the online introduction for the Arkansas portion of the Southern BBQ Trail (www.southernbbqtrail.com), I came to the conclusion that there are too many cultural influences and styles of barbecue in this state to come up with a single definition.

“Arkansas is a fringe state, not solely a part of any one region,” I wrote. “It’s a state that’s mostly Southern but also a bit Midwestern and a tad Southwestern. Northwest Arkansas is far different from southeast Arkansas. Northeast Arkansas doesn’t have much in common with southwest Arkansas.”

I concluded that we’re a state of contradictions that regularly confounds outsiders.

The introduction ended liked this: “Define Arkansas barbecue, you say? Impossible. Just hush your mouth and eat, the Arkansan will tell you.”

In preparing their book “The Slaw and the Slow Cooked,” James Veteto and Ted Maclin met at one of this state’s most famous barbecue establishments, Craig’s in DeValls Bluff, in June 2009.

Here’s how they described the experience: “Driving with the windows down along old Highway 70, the smell of wood smoke let us both know that we were close. Craig’s is a small white clapboard building from the 1940s with red trim and two entrances, a legacy of the restaurant’s segregated past.

“As Maclin pulled into the parking lot with his nine-month-old daughter, the scent of smoke and the crunch of white gravel under his tires awoke memories of his own childhood. Once inside, they found a table near the door (one of only a few in the restaurant), and when Veteto arrived the conversation turned almost immediately to barbecue — the spiciness of the sauce, sliced versus chopped pork, wet versus dry ribs — intertwined with discussion of the history of this restaurant.

“Craig’s is a sit-down restaurant, but not in the sense of fine linens and hors d’oeuvres. In fact, the walls of the establishment can only be described as worn and perhaps a little dirty, but not in an unsanitary way. The short menu is at the back of the room above a counter just outside of the kitchen.

“There is no cash register in sight, and every once in a while an African-American waitress emerges from the kitchen to take orders and money, deliver food to hungry customers or bring back change from beyond.

“By listening closely when the kitchen door flips open or while visiting the bathroom, one can usually hear the gentle beats and inspired singing of soul or gospel music. While we were there as many people ordered food to go as stayed to eat inside. A woman took our order at the table rather than having us order at the counter — as is common at many fast-food restaurants. And make no mistake — though the food arrived on paper plates rendered translucent by the grease, this was no fast food.” "

Scroll down about 1/2 the page.

Last edited:
My family and I ate there a couple years ago on 1MoreFord's recommendation while we were traveling cross country. By far one of my favorite stops ever. I really hope to hit that spot again one day. The pie place wasn't open the day we were there, but hopefully it will be next time.

frognot - I'd strongly suggest making this a priority - you'll be glad you did!

Back