logo

Any good Bbq in San Antonio

San Antonio is known for it's great Tex-Mex food, not really a BBQ paradise. There are also many great steak houses as you are in the middle of beef country.

If you are going to the Air Force Base avoid the bbq place there. I went there once and we left without even eating half of our food, it's really bad.... I've been by there a few times just to see if anything has changed, sadly it hasn't. I guess they do well because they have a captive audience of trainees who cannot leave the base.

For Lunch I would Suggest
Congers Smoke Shack
347 Nacogdoches Road
They are only open from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM or until they are sold out.
it's just off the south inner-loop under the highway. It's a trailer with a couple picnic tables with great food. I have eaten at this location several times, but have never tried the second location.
NOTE: If you want your brisket without sauce, you have to order it that way. They also add feta cheese to the coleslaw.

Another good place is
Rudy's
15560 Interstate 35 Frontage Rd
Near Live Oak, TX but still part of San Antonio. The food here is good, not outstanding, but good. I have eaten at both locations and there is an obvious difference between them, this is the better one.

If you have an extra day and want to visit the greats, I would suggest traveling to Lockhart, TX and visiting Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market, and Blacks. Or you could also travel to Austin and hope you get in early enough for Franklin Barbecue, or John Mueller.

But my all time favorite was Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood (slightly closer than Lockhart).

Hope this is some help to you....

There is also a few good places in New Braunfels, Cooper comes to mind, but it was many years ago since I have been to New Braunfels.

You'll find plenty of good bbq about 45 minutes north

Harmon's in Cibolo. It's about 2 mi. East of Randolph AFB. RAFB main entrance is on FM78, go approx. 2 miles East on FM78 to Cibolo, Tx. Turn left on Main St. he is on the right side of Main St. next to the RR tracks. Everything is good, be sure and get the creamed corn for one of your sides. He doesn't put sauce on anything ( it doesn't need it). He does have it on the tables.

http://www.harmonsbbq.com/

Don't bother with Bill Millers BBQ although you'll see them everywhere. They do have good sweet iced tea, though.

Rudy's is good and consistent BBQ. There are a couple of locations. Where will you be staying? I like a place called Blanco BBQ, but only tried it once. Depending on where you are, it may be worth the trip.

Also, for Tex-Mex go to Mi Tierra. It is a landmark.

How long will you be in town? Will you have a car? You'll be about an hour from some BBQ legends. Send me a PM, if I can answer any questions about anything else in town, or if you need a ride. I'm disabled and can't drive anymore, but my wife can drive me to pick you up, possibly. Depending on our schedule.

Also, while you are here, if you never have, try some Barbacoa tacos for breakfast. Trust me.

Two Brothers as mentioned above. www.twobrosbbqmarket.com

They also own www.bandicehouse.com which is supposed to have some good Que.

For really good que but more of a hipster vibe and some different options. The Granary www.thegranarysa.com a brew pub as well

Rudy's is a chain but.. is probably better than most other Que Chains. So do with that,what you will.

Two words for you in San Antonio.. TEX MEX

Happy Hunting!

The best Q in SA is probably 2 Bros BBQ and the Granary.. both on the top 50 list. If you can make it to San Marcos there is Hays Co. BBQ.. which will no doubt make the Tx Monthly top 50 next time out. Very good BBQ, get the cheddar jalapeno sausage! But yea.. SA is known for their Tex Mex.

I'll second a trip to Mi Tierra. Very good. While a trip to Lockhart has been mentioned I didn't see a mention of City Market in Luling. Good BBQ a bit closer than Lockhart.

I had a great lunch once at Bolner's Meat Market which is in an older industrial area not too far from downtown. Also, if you want a great deal on some terrific spices, Bolner's is awesome. They make a great brisket rub plus plenty of raw spices. And they're unbelievably cheap compared to national brands.

Back