Klose Smokers

Pete Bridges

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Anyone ever used one? I'm doing a local high school cookout - butts/ribs - soon. The Klose grill will hold 200 butts and make my job so easy. Anyone ever worked with one of these grills? Any advice/recommendations/comments? Thanks.

Anyone ever used one? I'm doing a local high school cookout - butts/ribs - soon. The Klose grill will hold 200 butts and make my job so easy. Anyone ever worked with one of these grills? Any advice/recommendations/comments? Thanks.

How big is it and does it have an upright? My trailer pit is a Klose knock off (its a Klose for all practical purposes) and there is nothing mysterious about it. Give yourself at least two hours to bring the pit up to temp and stabilize. Don't rush it or you'll be chasing the temp for hours after you put the meat on. If it has an upright and unless it's been modified, you can't cook in the upright. It's more of a warmer as it won't go over about 175. I added additional tuning plates to mine so I can use the upright to cook in. If its tuned right, the firebox end will be 25-30 degrees hotter than the rest of the pit. It it's hotter than that, it not tuned or you've build too big of a fire.

I can give you more info, but I'd like to know the setup.. If it hold 200 butts it's way bigger than mine and mine is big.

It's the largest model Klose builds and yes it does have an upright. I was planning on closing it off or use to cook sausage only. Can you do ribs in the upright?

Brethren GTR is Klose man. if he doesn't respond, I'm sure you could IM him.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have a Klose, but it is nowhere near as large as what you are talking about. I agree with the rec to get it up to temp and stabilize before you start to cook.

David

200 butts? :shocked: I can only fit about 10 or 12 in my Klose. :redface:

I'd say if you already know how to run a direct flow stickburner you're off to a good start. I don't have tuning plates - the size of my cooker doesn't really warrant that and I like temp zones anyway.

If you have temp zones - bigger butts in the hotter zones, smaller butts in the cooler zones. You might have a pop baffle between the horizontal and vertical chambers. With the baffle in, the temp difference between the 2 can be 50 degrees and with it out it can be 25 degrees or almost even if it's been running a long while. Take a look between the chambers and see if there's a plate (it should have holes drilled in it) that's held in place with a wingnut - that's the baffle. I would suspect there's one there.

Not sure what temps you like to cook at, but you may have to get temps too high in the horizontal chamber to be able to use the vertical for cooking, unless maybe you're cooking 275-300 in the main chamber and around 225-250 in the vertical, which is probably what I would do. I've never cooked on something that large though, so I can't say for sure.

Got pix of that cooker? I'd love to see it.

I did 175 butts and 175 rib slabs last year, but I ran 8 separate smokers and cooked for 24 hours. I was trying to make my life a little easier but I know well how the 4 Lang, my 2 Heptinstall (old boy in my home town near Auburn), and 2 unknown indirect smokers work. I've just never had 200 on one grill before. I've gotten tips from local guys but they smoke their meat and then have huge chopping machines to cut up. I usually cook until it falls apart by itself. Thanks for the replies.

The picture is close except it's a 3 axle trailer, no front end grill or hot plates. No fire wood box. Just a huge smoker and an upright warmer box.

No, you really shouldn't try the ribs on the upright. Put them on the hottest end, which is the firebox end. It willbe fine for smoked sausage though. On the upright, check and see if the tuning plates extend into it and also has a single plate on the left side of the upright. If so, then it may be set up to cook in. You'll know for sure when it comes up to temp. I hope you have at least one seasoned stick burner pit master to help you. Given the size of that pit and if it were me, I'd give it around 3 hours to come to temp and stabilize.

Excellent point! He will talk to you. Make sure you have a comfortable chair and something to drink!

And a cot with a sleeping bag..:tongue:

Shoot Pete, if you weren't so far away I'd come give you a hand..

Edit: if that thing has a propane starter, and I'm sure it does, be very careful with it. You can get hurt badly if you get careless. If it goes out, shut he gas off, open all the doors and let it air out for a while. Make sure there is no propane smell before you try to relight it. I know of a guy on another BBQ board that blew his pit and himself up because of that..

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I'll second that. I bought a used Klose BYC and Dana was way more than helpful. Very nice people. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was at the Klose shop today buying a new temp gauge for mine. Mine is a baby compared to this beast though. 20x48 backyard model. Like everyone has said let her stabilize before you put meat on. Call David Klose and have a notepad handy for notes.

Woo, that is a big cooker. I have cooked on a Klose Trailer model and they are great cookers. What Pitbull said is true about taking your time. What Bull said is even more true, call them up and ask for advice. They are a good company.

Surely you mean 200 lbs of butts, not 200 butts. I don't know of any smoker that will 200 butts.:shocked:

Back