• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

i made brother Guest's brown jambalaya and some other things.....

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
the missus was down with an injured knee this weekend, so i took it upon myself to cook a bunch (like i always do). i had made chef paul's shrimp and chicken jambalaya a couple weeks ago and fellow bretheren Guest sent me his own brown jambalaya recipe. instead of pork butt (too expensive for the amount i needed), i used "pork stew meat" which worked very well. i should have cut it down a bit more, but it worked just fine like it was. also, i don't have a non-enameled dutch oven, so i went with what i had. my results turned out a lighter product, but it was delicious and i will be making this again.

i also found some local sausage, so i smoked a fatty for breakfast sunday morning. pulled pork abts were also on the agenda. sunday was a pretty good day for cooking......

Now thats what Jambalaya is supposed to look like. Well done.
From Gonzales, Louisiana, The Jambalaya Capitol of the World!

Hey deepsouth,
I've got an injured knee too. Want to send me a plate?
Seriously, fantastic looking food there.
I got to try that jambalaya recipe.

Dang! :shocked:

That looks fantastic. Very nice pix of some excellent eats there! I'd love to hit all that and pass out for a nap on a Sunday afternoon.

Now thats what Jambalaya is supposed to look like. Well done.
From Gonzales, Louisiana, The Jambalaya Capitol of the World!

I'm from St. Amant (borders Gonzales for you non-local folk) and I gave him the recipe!

I'm glad you liked the recipe deepsouth. It looks like you did it justice. Appears you got the rice to pop nicely; not easy for a first timer. Feel free to share the recipe. Sharing good food is a way of life in Louisiana.

The color is not as important as the rice texture (which it looks like you nailed). I have no idea if you can achieve the color in an enameled pot, but you can try browning the pork a little longer. We typically only use cast aluminum (magnalite) or nonenameled cast iron. Next time throw in some cut up boneless/skinless chicken thighs along with the pork to take it to the next level.

Looks great! Much better than my first go.

With the permission granted above, I'll be glad to share it. Give me just a bit to get settled in the day.

here is the recipe that Guest sent me.

Guest said:
I highly recommend a non-enameled cast iron dutch oven for this recipe (minimum capacity of 4.5 quarts).

Ingredients
~1.5lb of cut up pork. Boston butt, cushion, or temple (head cutlets) work great for this.
~1lb of smoked pork sausage cut into rounds
1lb (2.5 cups) of Long grain rice
5 cups of low sodium chicken or pork stock
2 medium onions, chopped (~3 cups)
1 Bell Pepper, chopped (optional)
Hot Sauce (optional)
Cooking oil
Spices: 1/2 tsp red pepper, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 TBSP garlic powder

Directions:
Pour just enough cooking oil into the dutch oven to cover the bottom and heat over medium-medium high heat. Dust the pork with some of the spice mix, then brown in the oil. This is probably the most critical step in the recipe. Let the meat stick to the pot, then stir and repeat until browned very well. The fond from browning the pork makes most of the flavor and all of the color in this dish. A good dark (not burnt) fond will be key. The bottom of the pot and pork should look like the picture below when done. Remove the pork from the oil/pot and set aside.

Add the sausage to the pot and brown lightly. Remove and set aside.

Add the onions/bell peppers to the oil, and any left over spice mix. My fond color is usually where I want it when I'm done with the sausage. I usually deglaze with a dash of water right after adding the onions/peppers. Just make sure to deglaze before the fond burns. Don't be afraid to add a little water any time during the browning process to cool the pot down if necessary. Cook the water out and and brown the onions until they are caramelized.

District5-20140104-00115_zps68ae2348.jpg
District11-20140104-00116_zpsd184a898.jpg
District5-20140104-00118_zps34414d4d.jpg

Add the sausage and pork back to the pot with the onions. Add the stock. Add all the stock and bring to a boil. Note the level in the pot at this point (I make a mental mark on my spoon). Cut back the heat and simmer for ~30minutes (longer if using wild game to get the meat tender).

Oil/foam will begin to pool on top of the liquor. Remove by skimming and discard as much of this as possible. It will mess up the rice if too much oil is left in. Taste the liquor at this point. The liquor should be a little salty (like the sea) and have a good kick of pepper (kick in the back of throat). This is where you add more spice if needed. Once the 30 minutes are up, the spices are where you want them, and the oil is skimmed, bring the pot back to the previous noted level using water.

District5-20140104-00120_zps5b9eba13.jpg
District11-20140104-00122_zps8351db6e.jpg

Bring the pot to a rolling boil. Add the rice and bring the pot back up to a rolling boil ASAP. Boil the pot for ~8-10 minutes uncovered stirring often. The rice will have absorbed a good bit of liquor at this point. Put the lid on, and cut the heat down to low. Do not open the lid for any reason for 25 minutes! After 25 minutes open the lid and turn the rice (don't stir, try to fold the rice over). Put the lid back on, turn the heat off and let it sit for 15 minutes. Now it is ready to eat.

District11-20140104-00123_zps15c331b8.jpg
District11-20140104-00124_zps56c39d3f.jpg
District5-20140104-00125_zps00621438.jpg

It all looks great! I love me some jambalaya. I make a version of it from Paul Prudhomme's cookbook. It's good stuff! (BTW - if you have his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook - the banana bread recipe is killer.)

Anyway, nice work! :thumb:

It all looks great! I love me some jambalaya. I make a version of it from Paul Prudhomme's cookbook. It's good stuff! (BTW - if you have his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook - the banana bread recipe is killer.)

Anyway, nice work! :thumb:

i cooked chef paul's version last time.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197716&highlight=jambalaya

that is when Guest sent me his version.

thanks for the heads up on the banana bread recipe! i plan on making that this weekend. three weeks after purchase, they should be ready to go! they are almost, but not quite completely black......

Back