In N Out Double Double Animal Stye BUT.. homemade (pron)

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some of the brethren here are familiar with a burger joint known as In N Out Burger. They're all over California and also in parts of Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Texas. People go apesh*t over their burgers and most of the time the drive thru spills out in to the street and always a wait regardless of time of day.

They have a secret menu that's sort of word of mouth and have variations of their burgers when you call it but not on the menu obviously. For example, the protein burger which is wrapped in lettuce only, 4x4 which is 4 meat 4 cheese high, and so on.

One of my "secret" faves there is the Double Double Animal style which compared to the original Double Double varies by having the patties mustard grilled/griddled, grilled onions instead of fresh, extra spread and pickles.

So yesterday I recreated the Animal style double double to a T in my backyard.

Started with their secret spread which contains mayo, ketchup, relish, vinegar, dash of sugar and what I think is paparika. I did this purely by taste and no bs but it was spot on.

20140928_113053.jpg

Now the meat. I learned that In N out uses a 60/40 beef so I ground up some chuck and added pork fat to it to get to 60/40 or as close as I can.

20140928_122948.jpg

Nice marbling on this chuckie

20140928_123828.jpg

My local Albertson's butcher will sell me pork fat for next to nothing anytime I want so I made the trip and got some.

20140928_141432.jpg

Ground up the beef for patties coarse and half was ground fine for use with other dishes as I had way more meat than needed.

20140928_131058.jpg

Now, In N Out uses two 1/8lb (2oz) patties for the double double but I added .5oz meat to each patty as I think they're patties are way too small.

20140928_142707.jpg

20140928_144341.jpg

Time got away from me so I cheated on the fries and used nice frozen fries instead. I don't really care for their fries other than the fact that they're fresh cut.

20140928_164250.jpg

Next I stared to caramelize the almost minced onions like they do.

20140928_164303.jpg

Griddle ready for the patties. Patties were salt and peppered

20140928_172347.jpg

Once the bottoms of the patties were done I flipped them over and put American cheese slices on (deli style) and started toasting the buns

20140928_172933.jpg

Time for assemly and the order they go in at In N Out for the animal style. Now, I did both double doubles and just cheeseburgers for people that didn't want two patties.

Only difference between the singe or double is the double double has an extra cheese patty put on before you slap on the top bun.

Here is the order:

Spread

20140928_182351.jpg

4 pickles (I know there are three in the pick but it's a pain to take pics and cook at the same time:biggrin1:)
20140928_182433.jpg

Tomato

20140928_182442.jpg

Lettuce

20140928_182519.jpg

Cheese patty with grilled onions on top and bun for cheeseburger only or cheese patty topped with grilled onions and ANOTHER only cheese patty on top of the first patty before top bun goes on. Hopefully didn't confuse you there.:becky:

20140928_182636.jpg

Double Double on the left and cheeseburger on the right

20140928_180841.jpg

Doubles Doubles

2014-09-28%2B22.32.24.jpg

Cheeseburgers (except for the front one on the right)

20140928_182910.jpg

20140928_181138.jpg

Plated but I had to omit the Coke for something better:mrgreen:

20140928_173520.jpg

2014-09-28%2B22.26.06.jpg

Dripped just like the real thing does

2014-09-28%2B22.30.41.jpg

2014-09-28%2B22.22.32.jpg

2014-09-28%2B22.29.32.jpg

Some people wanted the Animal style fries

20140928_181121.jpg

20140928_181234.jpg

20140928_181341.jpg

It was a HUGE hit and very happy with the results. Job well done and I rewarded myself with my favorite beer.

20140928_181648.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

:clap: Looks awesome. Since I moved back to the midwest, In n Out is one of the things I miss most. Love their burgers, and yours looks dead on. Great cook!

Oh hell yes! Love that! I've never tried the animal style fries 'cause I'm always in the car & eat the fries first - when their fries die, they die fast and it ain't pretty!

Great job - this'd be a fun thing to do with my sons - thanks for posting!

Oh hell yes! Love that! I've never tried the animal style fries 'cause I'm always in the car & eat the fries first - when their fries die, they die fast and it ain't pretty!

Great job - this'd be a fun thing to do with my sons - thanks for posting!

Thanks Greg! The fries sure die fast so besides being short on time I didn't really care to replicate the fries.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I bet I eat at in n out twice a month.
You nailed it, just like you said. Only yours looked a bit better!
I do eat the animal fries on occasion but the burgers are my favorite!
I love to get the yellow hot peppers they give out now with your meal.
They are awesome!
I'm gonna have to try and make the spread now. I'm getting ideas. :becky:

Edit: one more thing. Order whole grilled onion. Sometimes when you order grilled onion you can get old grilled onion instead. :mmph: whole grilled will be cut to order and put fresh on your burger!

I bet I eat at in n out twice a month.
You nailed it, just like you said. Only yours looked a bit better!
I do eat the animal fries on occasion but the burgers are my favorite!
I love to get the yellow hot peppers they give out now with your meal.
They are awesome!
I'm gonna have to try and make the spread now. I'm getting ideas. :becky:

Thanks Ray! Not bragging but to me they were better than the real thing. It was just like the real thing only kicked up a notch or two since the ingredients were even fresher than IN N OUT.

I noticed they do the peppers now but I leave the yellow hot peppers for Tommy's. :biggrin1:

I sure miss the Animal style double double! Your version looks spot on!!

I noticed they do the peppers now but I leave the yellow hot peppers for Tommy's. :biggrin1:
double chili cheese with extra pickles and peppers, and only from the original, on Beverley and Rampart. Been going to In-N-Out and Tommy's since i was a wee lad in the early 70's, nice recreation of the animal double double

double chili cheese with extra pickles and peppers, and only from the original, on Beverley and Rampart. Been going to In-N-Out and Tommy's since i was a wee lad in the early 70's, nice recreation of the animal double double

Thanks!

You sure know your Tommy's. Yep! Beverly and Rampart is it.

I love In-N-Out burgers. It's my Saturday lunch. I agree, yours looks even better. Can you share the special sauce recipe with the Brotherhood or is it "classified"? Thank you for the post. I want to get in my truck and drive 12 miles to my closest In-N-Out right now!

I love In-N-Out burgers. It's my Saturday lunch. I agree, yours looks even better. Can you share the special sauce recipe with the Brotherhood or is it "classified"? Thank you for the post. I want to get in my truck and drive 12 miles to my closest In-N-Out right now!

Thanks!

Ouch 12miles. Im spoiled as there is one down the street from me less than a mile lol.

The spread or secret sauce is just mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, vinegar, paprika and a pinch of sugar. I did it all by taste until I got it right and it was spot on.

Ill guesstimate here:

5-6 TBSP mayo
2 1/2 - 3 TSP ketchup
3-4 TSP relish
1 TSP vinegar
1/3 TSP sugar
3/4 TSP Paprika

Mix it all together and taste test to adjust it. Chill for 1/2 hr or longer.

Looks great! I haven't been to an in and out since they came to Texas. Pretty hard to when we have whataburger:-D

Next time I go to a non-whata burger state I'll be sure to try it. Forget that secret menu ordering baloney though... If that's an actual thing.

Back