Brine Turkey Breast?

lionelg9

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be smoking a couple of turkey breasts over the weekend and I am trying to determine whether or they are already brined. On the nutrition label it says the salt content is at 14% per serving. Is this the normal number of a bird that has not been brined? I am worried about brining them and having them turn out too salty. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

lionelg9

Does it say anywhere on the label that it has been enhanced, self basting, or c[FONT=Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]ontains up to X% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness...?

If so, it's been brined already.
[/FONT]

does it say anywhere on the label that it has been enhanced, self basting, or c[font=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]ontains up to x% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness...?

If so, it's been brined already.
[/font]

^ +1 ......

I would say it is definitely already brined. Natural turkey is very low sodium. A POUND of uncooked turkey has 3% of the daily recommended sodium intake. 14% per serving is huge compared to this.
Serving size most likely 3 ounces?

I brined for years, then moved into injecting a brine. While on that road of experimation I got in touch with "Old Dave" because I wanted to play with pastraming a turkey breast. Long story short... Dave gave me his version of "Shakes" injectable brine, which I really like. Later I incorporated that with some pastrami seasoning for the pastramied breast. HERE is a write-up with all the details. I've done about 20 of these and really like the variety.

DSC07499a.jpg

Back