Brisket and Beef Love

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Picked up a 15 lb prime brisket last week to cook while I am off this week. I told myself I spent too much when I bought it ($3.99/lb) and KNEW I did when I went to trim it.

I bet I trimmed at least 4 lbs of fat off that thing. Very disappointed in how fatty it was. The dang thing better ROCK tonight! (Currently foiled on the WSM waiting for everyone to get home).

So what do you do with all of that fat? Well, you make beef-love (Thanks Melissaredhead!)

I threw all the trimmings in a big pot with water and let it simmer for about 4 hours. Scooped out the remaining solids and poured the liquid through a clean T-shirt. The bowl went into the fridge for a few hours and I wound up with a quart and a half of pure, white, rendered beef fat.

So I got THAT goin' for me. Which is nice.

I'll let y'all know later how the brisket turned out.

I should have done that with the brisket I am corning. Have another brisket sitting in the fridge for smoking this weekend. As soon as i thru out the trimming the other day, I knew a mistake was made.

OK. So it turned out pretty well. A little overcooked by comp standards but very moist and tender.

Can't wait to try eggs fried in beef-love in my little Wagner cast iron skillet tomorrow morning with a couple slices of brisket.

Last edited:
Good to hear it turned out well. We actually prefer them a bit over done, great for burritos when you get those pieces around the point that come off like shredded....really like those around here.

Four pounds seems like about the norm for me for full packer of that size. Having said that, I just scored a trimmed brisket flat at a local grocer that looks gorgeous and very meaty for $3.99/lb. 5.5 lbs worth. Probably won't have to trim it at all. This particular store I think has trouble moving whole packers so they'll cut 'em in half and sell them separately. Had good luck with one before we threw in a crock pot for shredded (see above), might try to smoke this one. we'll see how this one goes.

I cooked my first prime the other day

I was very impressed

Well, and of course you can use that trimmed fat to make your own ground beef too!

KC

Clark, it sounds great! And what time is breakfast tomorrow? I'm sure I can get to work late if you'll write me a tardy slip! I hope you're enjoying your time off, friend!

Chris

If you guys have never tried this; Nothing in the world as good as potatoes fried in pure beef fat.
ETA: Except maybe potatoes fried in goose fat.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I understand the difference with prime rib or prime filets, but can you tell the difference with a prime brisket? How is it different?

If I had saw this yesterday I would have stopped on my way to work to check on the progress . Of course I could stop today for left overs !

If I had saw this yesterday I would have stopped on my way to work to check on the progress . Of course I could stop today for left overs !
Still have some flat and the whole point left Coz.
I did not use the award winning Wyocena Yacht Club brisket rub on this one. I used Oakridge BBQ Competition beef and pork rub. As good as their rubs are, my brisket rub is better.

Still have some flat and the whole point left Coz.
I did not use the award winning Wyocena Yacht Club brisket rub on this one. I used Oakridge BBQ Competition beef and pork rub. As good as their rubs are, my brisket rub is better.

Awright I guess that being the case I can pass :heh: not much happenin.

I'll second tallow being great for frying taters. Also great for brisket hash. And we put some in a sweet potato dish Bigmista made which was insanely great - lots of great uses for it, whether you mix it with bacon grease or not!

Another use for brisket trimmings = the secret to smoked deer legs.

Just de-bone, wrap around a couple of handfuls of brisket trimmings. You can also wrap 1/2 the outside in brisket trimmings cut thin--just put rub on and pull/chop along with the meat.

Back