Here's one for you guys, green beans.

sunrise

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I normally dont do green beans, it even says on my web site "tired of the same old green beans". Well I booked a dinner for this Friday for 150, going to do tri tip, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, rolls. The lady wanted a vegetable, and some color on the plate, she suggested broccoli, I said yuck (I dont like broccoli), so she said then green beans, reluctantly I agreed (I dont like green beans either) I even went as far as to say I would grill them, I figure I can work that part out. The problem comes in the fact that I didnt realize that you have to trim green beans. I went to the packing house and got a 30 pound case, now I am sitting here cutting the ends off 30 pounds of the damn things, (you can stop laughing now) What I would like to know, is there an easy way to do this? Costco sells them already trimmed, but they would cost my 1.50 a pound more than I paid, 1.00 per pound. Also, how am I going to grill that many beans? I'm thinking blanch them, then shock them in cold water, then lay some foil on my grill, and try to get some grill or char on them. Does this sound right? or like it will work?

Grilling that many beans sounds miserable. Around here people love cooked beans with ham hocks. Tender, flavorful, and all you need is a large stock pot to cook them in. Good luck.

I'd blanch them and then grill them in a perforated hotel pan like this one. Season with salt and pepper and olive oil, maybe Italian dressing or something.

20023_300.jpg

Your only hope is a mesh or perforated pan, that will work great. Grilled beans, man, that is not something I would ever volunteer for

Might lose 70% between the grates.
I've done it for 2 people, but the veggie pan w/ holes or something like it is the ONLY way to go.

I've had good luck cooking canned green beans down some to remove some moisture then adding a sweet BBQ like meatball sauce and letting that coat the beans. Make sure you have a surplus of 20% because they will be a big hit.

Definitely use a something to prevent them falling through the grate ie, the hotel pan. I've used Mrs Dash or Simon and Garfunkel sprinkled on then cooked. Also, chopped garlic and onions. Just cooked enough to soften a bit, and have grill marks.

Good Luck!

We have done fresh cut beans from Sams Club for 50 people. Olive oil and butter on the flat top and saute with some minced garlic and some garlic salt for 10 to 15 minutes til they get a bit of char but still a little crunch. Hold them in a foiled pan. They dont hold much more than an hour or they get rubbery.

Can't answer, Still laughing......

^^^^:laugh: Jerk! :becky:

I love grilling or sauteing grean beans for us here at home. EVOO and some kosher salt and pepper, maybe some garlic powder is great. The problem with them is that they cool off so fast. If you hold them hot for any time they soften up a lot. I prefer them with a little crunch myself.

Sounds great, but I'm not sure how I'd go about grilling them and keeping them all hot until serving time. Heck, even oven roasting them would be easier. Maybe super hot oven, cook them half way and then hold them in a warm cambro or whatever else you're holding them in until serving time so they soften? I've never tried that though.

Good luck.

Just an idea but... Blanch them, wrap bundles in aluminum foil packets along with fine diced onions, a little fine diced garlic, fine diced bacon, pad butter seasoned salt and pepper. Maybe do ahead except for grilling time and serve in foil pouches slit down the middle???

next time just buy them prepped in the frozen area, place in tin with butter and spices, place in smoker then serve, not much work and it goes over big, I charge 22 for a 1/2 tin..5 to 1 profit for very little effort..

Should have gone with Broccoli salad!

Sorry man - still laughing

I like both Broccoli and green beans and a good green been cassorole is awesome.

Like others the perforated pan.

We do broccoli salad and also green beans. Both are big hits. For the beans we cook them with a ham hock, bacon or a slab of salt pork. Throw in some onions and garlic and you are good to go. Also do a lot of grilled asparagus.

Some beans have to be snapped and stringed..... half runners have to be stringed Some beans are stringless and only have to be snapped to desired size. West Virginia home cooked beans are simmered in water with bacon or ham with bacon grease and when finished are almost dry of water and are almost fried, not swimming in water. Next time ask vendor about whether beans are stringless?? Sorry for you extra job of stringing beans. Ask a friend to come over, snap beans and watch Food tv.

Laughing my arse off as well. As a kid we would snap beans for hours filling up five gallon buckets. Swore when I moved out that I would never snap another bean. And haven't! I cringe even thinking about it.

I would blanch them and grill them in the hotel pan as fingerlickin said. Cook them with a lot of bacon. When you move them to your serving containers add a bunch of butter.

Back