pulled pork

Toddlias

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am cooking pulled pork sammies, chicken thighs and some sides for 200 people. I plan on smoking the pork the day before and reheating the day of. My question is if I pull the pork the day before and reheat in hotel pans on the smoker, will adding beef or chicken broth change the flavor? Also, is it better to leave the butts whole or partially pulled prior to reheating to retain some moisture?

I second the apple juice. As well as make sure you reheat on a low temp, as to not break down the cellular walls of the pork. If you reheat on a too high of a temp, you will loose that great texture.

I usually leave mine whole or in larger chunks and reheat that way. Put them in a pan and heat them to 160. I add the apple juice if I have to hold for an extended period of time.

We have done similar quantities for events such as this. For quick turnarounds like this our method is to cook, pull, pack into quart size Ziploc bags and freeze. The quart Ziploc bags hold almost exactly 2 lbs each and work fine for quick turnaround jobs. We also save all the "juices" from the cooked product and freeze it as well.

The next day we take the frozen pkgs onsite and use our cooker to reheat. We take the PP out of the baggies and put it into restaurant pans and cover tight with aluminum foil. Once the meat thaws we use tongs to "stir it around". Once it begins to rise toward serving temp we add the reheated "juices" if we feel it is necessary.

This method has always produced a product that is moist and naturally flavored. We also constantly have clients tell us that they just can't believe that the product tastes like we just pulled it out of the smoker rather than re-heated from frozen.

Back