• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going rate for pulled pork/lb?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What is the going rate for pulled pork/lb? For example. Smoking it and prepping it to be served at a private in home party. It simply a drop off.

Last edited:
When we sell vending it's $12.25lb. We only offer meals for a drop off.

It depends on what you are paying per lb. for raw pork. Out here, pork is more expensive than on the mainland. We charge $14/lb.

What is the going rate for pulled pork/lb? For example. Smoking it and prepping it to be served at a private in home party. It simply a drop off.

Whatever your market area will pay for it. If you can get $12/lb take it, but in our neck of the woods it's usually $8-9/lb.

It's not for me bizz. My neighbor did a job a few weeks ago and I asked him what he charged and he said $14/lb and I about died.

It seems fair at the 3X mark-up thrown around.
$2/lb minus 50% loss = $4/lb.
Depending on where in the country you are, my motto is charge as much as you can.
You get fewer, but higher paying clients.
Be the cheapest guy - you'll have the longest line, and the MOST dissatisfied folks.
PRICE. QUALITY. SERVICE. Pick any 2 out of 3.

It's not for me bizz. My neighbor did a job a few weeks ago and I asked him what he charged and he said $14/lb and I about died.

Our pork butts are going for around $2.5/lb (raw) here. Using an average 50% loss in cook that jumps to $5/lb cooked. And we use the 3 x method for drop offs so that comes to around $15/lb for cooked pulled pork.

Take a look at the cooked meats in the Delis if that price seems too high. And most of that is "reconstituted meat", not your premium smoked BBQ product. People will pay for a quality product. If not, let them eat cake. :mrgreen:

Our pork butts are going for around $2.5/lb (raw) here. Using an average 50% loss in cook that jumps to $5/lb cooked. And we use the 3 x method for drop offs so that comes to around $15/lb for cooked pulled pork.

^^^ This. If by chance the pork butts are on sale for .99 per lb like they are right now, my price stays the same.

Be the cheapest guy - you'll have the longest line, and the MOST dissatisfied folks.
PRICE. QUALITY. SERVICE. Pick any 2 out of 3.

I would have to disagree with this. Whether I sell my BBQ at $12/lb (if the market allows) or $8/lb, the customer gets the same quality product. I don't have to make a living at selling BBQ so selling it for $8/lb is just some extra cash for me and some good BBQ for the customer.

I can see where your theory may apply to a restaurant/caterer, but I don't believe you have to completely sacrifice one of those qualities at the expense of the other two.

^^^ This. If by chance the pork butts are on sale for .99 per lb like they are right now, my price stays the same.

Oh MY!! For $0.99/lb I would almost be willing to make a 10 hr road trip to Houston, for that price, with a truck load of ice chests. :biggrin1:

I would have to disagree with this. Whether I sell my BBQ at $12/lb (if the market allows) or $8/lb, the customer gets the same quality product. I don't have to make a living at selling BBQ so selling it for $8/lb is just some extra cash for me and some good BBQ for the customer.

I can see where your theory may apply to a restaurant/caterer, but I don't believe you have to completely sacrifice one of those qualities at the expense of the other two.

I maybe misunderstanding him but I don't think he's saying his product quality lessons with the cheaper price. But the "quality" of customer drops when your prices drop. Which may have some truth to it.

I do make a living at selling bbq, but that's beside the point. I am paying $ 1.46 a pound case price. There are usually 10 bone in butts in the case. With a 50% yield, plus my time, rubs, sauces, etc.... we charge the $ 12.00 per pound, and out quality is always the same, I hope. Although I have seen at some events we do, there are customers that see our prices, and then go to the tamale guy at the next booth where they can get something for $3.00, but thats up to them, I know what we have and what we have to do. I once tried adding hot dogs that we sold for $ 2.00 ea to try to compete with the toco & tamale guys, but it wasnt worth all the extra work for us.

I do make a living at selling bbq, but that's beside the point. I am paying $ 1.46 a pound case price. There are usually 10 bone in butts in the case. With a 50% yield, plus my time, rubs, sauces, etc.... we charge the $ 12.00 per pound, and out quality is always the same, I hope. Although I have seen at some events we do, there are customers that see our prices, and then go to the tamale guy at the next booth where they can get something for $3.00, but thats up to them, I know what we have and what we have to do. I once tried adding hot dogs that we sold for $ 2.00 ea to try to compete with the toco & tamale guys, but it wasnt worth all the extra work for us.

This is the difference in "customer type". You have some people that worry more about the price than they do anything else. My dad is like this. It's all about the price to him. Though the food quality maybe less.

Although I have seen at some events we do, there are customers that see our prices, and then go to the tamale guy at the next booth where they can get something for $3.00, but thats up to them, I know what we have and what we have to do.

This is the difference in "customer type". You have some people that worry more about the price than they do anything else. My dad is like this. It's all about the price to him. Though the food quality maybe less.

Sometimes people just can't afford the extra money. I never hold a grudge against people because they choose not to buy my product. Maybe their economic situation doesn't afford them the luxury to buy a higher priced item, or maybe in their opinion they aren't getting a good value for their money. Some people are just cheapskates. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling your product at any price that you need to cover costs and make a profit...as long as the market supports it.

There is no such thing as quality of customer in my book. Everyone's money spends the same. The guy that spends $8 for pork is the same as the guy that will spend $12, in that they are willing to buy your product. Like I said before, in my corner of the planet, the market will not support $12 pork, but if you can get $12 wherever you are, more power to you, I wish I could.

Sometimes people just can't afford the extra money. I never hold a grudge against people because they choose not to buy my product. Maybe their economic situation doesn't afford them the luxury to buy a higher priced item, or maybe in their opinion they aren't getting a good value for their money. Some people are just cheapskates. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling your product at any price that you need to cover costs and make a profit...as long as the market supports it.

There is no such thing as quality of customer in my book. Everyone's money spends the same. The guy that spends $8 for pork is the same as the guy that will spend $12, in that they are willing to buy your product. Like I said before, in my corner of the planet, the market will not support $12 pork, but if you can get $12 wherever you are, more power to you, I wish I could.

No doubt, people buy or don't buy for different reasons. Some "don't buy" for financial reasons, others don't buy because it isn't worth it in their minds to spend $10 on a bbq plate when they can buy a plate of tamales for $3. To each his own.

But then you have people that simply are cheapskates (like my dad) who will focus more on the price (when money isn't even an issue) than the quality of what they're getting. They'd rather save $5 bucks and relish in the fact they "saved" $5 than pay the extra $5 and get a higher quality meal.

My point was - if you are the cheapest guy - the line will be out the door, full of 'cheap' clients. Not a winning strategy.
If you have the best quality, your line will be less, because the Price is higher.
If you have best Service, they'll be no line. But there had better be quality, because your price will be higher. It's a balancing act.

I't all economics, various parts of the country act differently.
Here in the D.C. area, you can cherry pick.
Not so in Altoona, PA, for example.

BAMA - Your Dad would never be one of my clients.

cheapskates (like my dad) who will focus more on the price (when money isn't even an issue) than the quality of what they're getting. They'd rather save $5 bucks and relish in the fact they "saved" $5 than pay the extra $5 and get a higher quality meal.

Yes because you need to take advantage of it when you can. Go off what you are paying over 3 to 6 months at least. Last year I booked half my catering season off the $1.29lb I had been paying for a long time. Then in March the price went from $1.29lb to $2.29lb in a week. I could not go back and up the price on the catering jobs that I already had contracts on. The good side of that is that I have booked half of this year based on $2.08lb and right now butts are running $1.29lb :clap:

Back