THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAMA - Your Dad would never be one of my clients.

LOL! You're right. I tell him all the time he's a cheapskate when it comes to food. But he's just "one of those" customers that I guess the food taste better to him if he feels like he's getting a deal on the price side of things. I tend to have found the opposite. You normally get what you pay for and normally the reason it cost more is because it is a higher quality product. :thumb:

I agree, my dad would drive 20 miles across town to get something just because it was 5 cents cheaper. There was no way you could change his mind. Darn, my wife has a lot of those tendencies too....

I would have to disagree with this. Whether I sell my BBQ at $12/lb (if the market allows) or $8/lb, the customer gets the same quality product. I don't have to make a living at selling BBQ so selling it for $8/lb is just some extra cash for me and some good BBQ for the customer.

I can see where your theory may apply to a restaurant/caterer, but I don't believe you have to completely sacrifice one of those qualities at the expense of the other two.

That argument doesn't hold up if you are a legit business with real business expenses. Most of the guys posting here who are selling bbq are doing it as a business. If you are a guy trying to make a little beer money and spending 12 plus hours to cook a pork butt is what you choose to do for fun when you aren't at work making your living, sure, you can sell at cost.

In your example, you might make a certain amount cooking a butt on your ugly drum or whatever cooker in your backyard, but the caterer or restaurant has to play by the rules and use a 8,000-20,000 commercial smoker, pay rent, install a 20,000 hood, blah blah blah so they need to sell for more because of the costs incurred. So faced with the decision to try and compete on price with a backyard guy, his only choice is to drastically cut quality one way or another.

Speaking of restaurant costs, I am in the process of trying to get finances together for a place, and am being told that any place in nyc with capacity for over 75 is considered a place of public assembly and has a bunch of extra crap tied to that, including a crazy fire alarm system that shuts everything in the place down and can cost up to $20,000. For a fire alarm. Bet that is a cost nobody ever thinks about when they think a guy is a ripoff because he sells pork for a few bucks more than someone thinks they could do it for out of their backyard.

Back