Some bad news, need some help

T&S BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My cousin, the other half of T&S BBQ, had to have open heart surgery last week. Seems he was a little plugged up, a quint able bypass repaired the problem, but now the doc is saying he needs to go Vegan. OMG, what a shocker, he loves bbq and every thing about it. He's the one that got me started. So I was wondering if anyone out there had any veggie or something Vegan that could be smoked. He might not go full Vegan forever, but for now he needs to be careful. So any recopies or such would be great. I would love to take him a meal that was smoked that he could eat. Thanks for any help you can give.

I know they make tofu sausages. May want to try them. I will be. My future wife is vegetarian and I am going to have to experiment.

Sorry to hear the bad news as well as I'm glad to hear the surgery went well

Dang dude, sorry to hear that but I'm glad they got him all fixed up!

I'm with Jim on this one, a second opinion is exactly what I would do! Vegan is hardcore stuff, it nearly becomes a religion, I know I couldn't do it.

I know several people that had that operation. Diet changes are always discussed but none of them were told to go vegan. He needs to see another doc when he gets out of the hospital. I hope his recovery goes well.

I know plenty of Vegan's that have crazy high LDL levels and high triglycerides. I use to have bad LDL and triglycerides and switch to a high protein diet and dark green vegetables and almost no sugar and limited carbs. My blood work turned around. The Doc wanted to give me statin drugs and I would not do it because they almost killed my dad. After I changed my diet the doc wanted to know what the hell I did. After I told him he told me to keep up with what I was doing. I take a few supplements as well. Also loose weight which helps a bunch. I definitely would get a second opinion. My dad is now 90 on no medication and doing great for his age other than a bad back.

I know plenty of Vegan's that have crazy high LDL levels and high triglycerides. I use to have bad LDL and triglycerides and switch to a high protein diet and dark green vegetables and almost no sugar and limited carbs. My blood work turned around. The Doc wanted to give me statin drugs and I would not do it because they almost killed my dad. After I changed my diet the doc wanted to know what the hell I did. After I told him he told me to keep up with what I was doing. I take a few supplements as well. Also loose weight which helps a bunch. I definitely would get a second opinion. My dad is now 90 on no medication and doing great for his age other than a bad back.

I'll let him know that thanks

I know several people that had that operation. Diet changes are always discussed but none of them were told to go vegan. He needs to see another doc when he gets out of the hospital. I hope his recovery goes well.
Or a registered dietitian. Going totally vegetarian and maintaining a good diet is difficult.

A diet change is obviously needed but going vegan seems a little extreme. I'm betting some chicken or turkey on the smoker won't hurt much. Then again, I am not a dr.

A diet change is obviously needed but going vegan seems a little extreme. I'm betting some chicken or turkey on the smoker won't hurt much. Then again, I am not a dr.
Most doctors are not dietitians.
One of the problems with drastic diet changes when you are ill is that nothing tastes good. Most vegetarian BBQ tastes nothing like meat, even chicken breast meat isn't the same thing.

I have several family members that have heart issues and have had from stints to bypass. None of their doctors have told them to go full blown vegan. I think maybe that is your cousin's doctors "personal preference"! Now SALT is definitely going to be his enemy number one! No more salt! Followed closely by triglycerides and fat. But a doctor saying go full blown vegan I think that would require a second conversation for sure. But this isn't something to take lightly and not listen to the doctor that had their hand touching your heart! A lifestyle/diet change is absolutely in order. Glad they found it in time and were able to to the bypass before it was too late.

Seems a little drastic, I would think a complete change in diet could shock your system vs introducing more veganisims while reducing your bbqisims...sorry I just made that whole sentence up because that's how my brain said it.

Best of luck to your friend, and I would see another doctor and nutritionist, because not all blood work is equal, meaning that surgeon vs GP vs nutritionist look and test for different things. Interpretations can be biased or skewed...

-D

That sounds like a doctor with an agenda. I'd tell the good doctor to keep his/her agenda to themselves.

All you have to know about a vegan diet is the number of multivitamins vegans have to take in order to maintain their health while living their "healthier" lifestyle. My oldest boy was a vegan for about four years. He had skin problems, no energy and was always sick. He started eating meat again about 1 1/2 years ago. Now he's a competitive power lifter that hasn't been sick in a year.

My father had a quintuple bypass in 2008. He's still eating meat every day, still eating mashed potatoes with gravy nearly every day, and eating all kinds of fried food almost every day. He's 73 now and doing just fine.

Hope for a speedy recovery. Grilled veggies peppers,onions,mushrooms,potatos,corn on the cob. cedar planked fish or grilled seafood.

I'd get a second opinion, at least.

Yeah, I agree. My father just had quadruple bypass done 3 months or so ago and his dr never said that to him at all. And he is 74 years old. Not sure age matters but that old I figure it might as far as healing goes and reclogging.

At any rate, I am glad to hear they got him fixed up and back on the good foot again. I know that can be a scary predicament for sure.

First and foremost, glad to hear he's ok. Good luck to him.

I lean towards Quality vs. Quantity. I'd rather only live to be 70 and enjoy my life, than to live to 100 being miserable, and eating tofu burgers.

EDIT: I hope that doesn't come off as crude. Just the way I feel.

I had a quad bypass in '03, doc didn't put me on any diet restrictions. As part of the recovery, I had to walk up to 3 miles a day. I now go to the gym 3 days a week, usually riding my bike there. Exercise is real important.

Back