What type of outdoor cookers do you own?

What type of outdoor cookers do you own?

• Offset smoker

Votes: 286 38.9%
  • Cabinet smoker

Votes: 118 16.0%
  • Gravity fed smoker

Votes: 46 6.3%
  • Gas grill

Votes: 358 48.6%
  • Pellet grill

Votes: 60 8.2%
  • Pellet smoker

Votes: 97 13.2%
  • Open fire (brick or other)

Votes: 79 10.7%
  • Electric smoker

Votes: 95 12.9%
  • Propane smoker

Votes: 49 6.7%
  • Bullet type

Votes: 199 27.0%
  • Kettle type

Votes: 420 57.1%
  • Mini bullet or tamale pot type

Votes: 66 9.0%
  • Homemade UDS

Votes: 136 18.5%
  • 55 gallon or larger commercial UDS

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • 30 gallon commercial UDS

Votes: 92 12.5%
  • Santa Maria grill

Votes: 35 4.8%
  • Kamado style

Votes: 211 28.7%
  • Hibachi type

Votes: 38 5.2%
  • Horizontal barrel

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • Pizza or other outdoor oven

Votes: 56 7.6%
  • Griddle

Votes: 143 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 106 14.4%

• Total voters
What is this classified as?
12552406_1754825404747494_712727667_n.jpg

Just guessing: other.

Update

355 voters so far. And here is the full list:

Type Votes Percent
Kettle type 209 58.87%
Gas grill 182 51.27%
Offset smoker 158 44.51%
Kamado style 105 29.58%
Bullet type 99 27.89%
Homemade UDS 73 20.56%
Griddle 71 20.00%
Cabinet smoker 68 19.15%
Other 51 14.37%
Pellet smoker 48 13.52%
Electric smoker 46 12.96%
Mini bullet or tamale pot type 34 9.58%
Open fire (brick or other) 33 9.30%
Pellet grill 29 8.17%
Propane smoker 28 7.89%
30 gallon commercial UDS 28 7.89%
Gravity fed smoker 27 7.61%
Pizza or other outdoor oven 27 7.61%
55 gallon or larger commercial UDS 23 6.48%
Hibachi type 18 5.07%
Santa Maria grill 14 3.94%
Horizontal barrel 10 2.82%

Bump. For some reason I feel like if we get to 400+ voters will have a pretty accurate picture of the percent of smokers owned by most Brethren Members. As of this post we have 383 votes. Thanks to all who have taken the time to participate in this survey!

I just found this thread and voted. I should have read before voting since I also forgot to count the turkey fryer burner as "other".

I noticed that with my Kamado purchase, I now have the top four and for some reason I feel like I should get a bullet type to round out the top five. Not that I would have any reason to use it, but I also have no reason to use the gas grill either.

As for the gasser, I have one that has never gotten much use, and its main purposes are to block a bad piece of deck railing that will be replaced soon and to store things under its cover. I am thinking by August it will be given away and I can't imagine ever missing it. With the gas gear I have indoors, when I don't want to light wood or charcoal I have other (better) gas alternatives, but I can see why many others would want to keep one around despite also owning "better" smokers and grills.

Finally, I have a griddle and was tempted to check the box, but mine is indoors so I guess it doesn't count. Either way, I think they are a great tool and it is good to see their popularity in these virtual parts.

Thanks for putting this poll together, it was very informative.

I'm surprised at the low number of UDS's so far

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking to with as many "Build a UDS" statements as we see around here.

I own two of them so I have no room to talk. :razz:

A gasser is more popular than an offset? You guys better pick it up!

A gasser is more popular than an offset? You guys better pick it up!
I think that it would be the other way around, if the people who only use their gasser to light their charcoal chimney were subtracted out.

I think that it would be the other way around, if the people who only use their gasser to light their charcoal chimney were subtracted out.

You may be right. Never owned a gas griil but I for rquick mid-week grilling of steak and chicken people seem to like them.

You may be right. Never owned a gas griil but I for rquick mid-week grilling of steak and chicken people seem to like them.

Ever since I got my Weber kettle, I'd shoot myself before putting a steak on a gas grill ;) at least not on the 20 year old K-Mart special I currently own.

But it's very convenient for a quick sausage or chicken grill after work.

(How do I vote in the poll ?)

New member checking in. Running an offset myself. I also have an electric Little Chief smoker I use primarily for fish.

To the defense of the gassers, some just don't have a choice. Until we bought our house last year we lived in apartments. In our area there is actually a county ordinance that prohibits the use of charcoal or any other wood type source. The ONLY thing permitted is a gas grill.

I was very glad to be able to pick up an offset again. Really missed the flavor you can introduce with one.

I wonder what the poll would look like if the question was "What type of outdoor cookers do you use to cook?" For example, I have a ECB, that sets in the basement. Unless I run across a barrel to make a small UDS, it will set there forever. I didn't even think about it when I voted. I also have a gasser, which sets covered with poison ivy vines off in the tree line. Again, I'd forgot about it until I remembered this thread.

I ticked the mini bullet as I have a 14.5" wsm on the way, but wasn't sure if I shouldn't have ticked the bullet smoker as well.
I think that by the time the wsm gets here, I may as well have the most well travelled wsm. It's in a truck that got turned around at the border (6 km from me) and is now making it's way to a different border and by the time it gets here it will have done another 2500 km!

OK, that was off topic.

Missing on the list is my little cold smoke generator and all my self built grills (half drums etc)

Back