Competition brisket taste

Comp brisket flavor

• Total voters

Big Country BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Alright yall kinda curious what flavor work for everyone such as bold beef spicy savory or savory with little sweet. so take a poll

I saw a large rub maker post his recipe for brisket and almost fell over when he listed a large dusting of raw brown sugar. A rich beef taste works for me. Never have scored well with anything sweet in brisket, ever. And I won't order his stuff because he's a poser that doesn't know. Can't BS a BSer. Steve.

I saw a large rub maker post his recipe for brisket and almost fell over when he listed a large dusting of raw brown sugar. A rich beef taste works for me. Never have scored well with anything sweet in brisket, ever. And I won't order his stuff because he's a poser that doesn't know. Can't BS a BSer. Steve.

Don't be a hater!...just sayin'!

Every heard of the "Maillard reaction"? Might be worth the time to research it.

I've never been one to put honey on my steak or brown sugar on my hamburger.. Why do it for brisket?

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
I've noticed some of the injections I have tried pack a hard BEEF taste...a buddy referred to it as "roast beefy". I have yet to turn in brisket at a comp so I find myself second guessing if I should try to dial it down some. I am mixing per manufactures instructions.

That being said, I like a slap you in the face salty peppery brisket...not necessarily spicy as far as heat goes.

I have never entered a comp and probably never will. The idea of what I see on comp shows of sweet food just not appeal to me. My wife and I prefer a spicy profile to most foods, but when we cook for others, we just tone it down.

It makes me wonder sometimes when a lot of contestants say they cook differently (different flavor profiles) for a comp then what they would eat at home. Why / How did sweet become the de facto for comp food when it seems most don't cook that way for friends and family?

Oh, and to answer the poll, brisket should taste like beef, not candy. Mainly beef, salt, and pepper, with maybe a hint of other herbs that go with beef (garlic, onion, etc).

I have never entered a comp and probably never will. The idea of what I see on comp shows of sweet food just not appeal to me. My wife and I prefer a spicy profile to most foods, but when we cook for others, we just tone it down.

It makes me wonder sometimes when a lot of contestants say they cook differently (different flavor profiles) for a comp then what they would eat at home. Why / How did sweet become the de facto for comp food when it seems most don't cook that way for friends and family?

Oh, and to answer the poll, brisket should taste like beef, not candy. Mainly beef, salt, and pepper, with maybe a hint of other herbs that go with beef (garlic, onion, etc).

Because human beings are programmed to like sweet things - at least in moderation. When you're talking about one-bite barbecue (or two bites), which is what most competition que is, that sweetness - which is too much for eating your fill - is what pops on the palate first.

It's the same reason Pepsi wins a lot of taste challenges. You take a single sip of Pepsi vs. Coke, you will find most people choose Pepsi because it is sweeter. However, those numbers balance out when consuming in quantity.

Also, most competition brisket isn't sweet. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

Comp brisket needs to have a beefy taste first and fore-most, however, slight over-tones of smoke, salt, spicy, and sweet seem to be what the judges want(balanced).
BTW, my comp brisket is the same as I do for vending/catering and what we enjoy at home.
(just for the record, I have 15 top 5 finishes in brisket in less than 30 comps, including quite a few 1sts and 2nds)

Because human beings are programmed to like sweet things - at least in moderation. When you're talking about one-bite barbecue (or two bites), which is what most competition que is, that sweetness - which is too much for eating your fill - is what pops on the palate first.

It's the same reason Pepsi wins a lot of taste challenges. You take a single sip of Pepsi vs. Coke, you will find most people choose Pepsi because it is sweeter. However, those numbers balance out when consuming in quantity.

Also, most competition brisket isn't sweet. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

But wouldn't that sweetness burn out on a judge after trying his third or fourth box?

I haven't judged before, would like to take the class and maybe give it a try some day. I thought I had read that a judge needs to learn to stick to one or two bites max, because they normally sample many items and can get full. (I could be wrong on that.)

Since I don't care for a sweet profile, I might not be a good candidate for judging...

But wouldn't that sweetness burn out on a judge after trying his third or fourth box?

I haven't judged before, would like to take the class and maybe give it a try some day. I thought I had read that a judge needs to learn to stick to one or two bites max, because they normally sample many items and can get full. (I could be wrong on that.)

Since I don't care for a sweet profile, I might not be a good candidate for judging...

If you care for a balanced profile, you'll be fine.

Yes, you'll be fine. I was commenting more to the reason why flavor profiles trend toward sweet. Although I've been noticing fewer overly sweet samples and a move toward more savory samples.

Ah, imagine that. Savory beef and pork. What a concept. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info...

Back