heads up on a good new cookbook from sean brock

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i received my new cookbook from sean brock yesterday and it's good enough that i thought i'd give a heads up here on the forum. sean has a passion for food that i don't see very often. he did have the shows on "mind of a chef" season two and they were all fantastic.

the name of the cookbook is heritage and amazon has a pretty good price on it, considering its a hardback book.

BrockSideBySide.png

Luckily, I live in a town where I can taste his creations all the time!:becky:

His talent as a chef is unbelievable!

he's a cook's cook to me. you're a lucky guy for sure. i'd love to sit down and have a beer or six with him.

That looks good. What type of cuisine does Chef Sean specialize in? Southern in general? Virginia regional?

That looks good. What type of cuisine does Chef Sean specialize in? Southern in general? Virginia regional?

the book is 335 pages. it is southern cuisine, but with an emphasis on basics that i think would be helpful to anyone . a great thing about it is, he has a resources section at the back of the book that lists where you can order what i would consider specialty foods from (stuff we can't get in MS), such as different types of grits and cornmeal, bacon, spices, etc..... he covers vegetables, meats, seafood, deserts, pickling, basics, etc... (how o make lard, different dressings, etc....)

Oh man I need this book, I have followed him for a while now, every since I read an article that had his hoppin john recipe in it. Wow is all I have to say.

Oh man I need this book, I have followed him for a while now, every since I read an article that had his hoppin john recipe in it. Wow is all I have to say.

that is one of the recipes in his cookbook. i've noticed several that he made from the mind of a chef series.

I'm not familiar with this guy (which isn't saying much) and I have bought so many cookbooks that just sit on the shelf, I'm hesitant to order another one.

What's special about this one Jason, if you don't mind me asking.....?

I'm not familiar with this guy (which isn't saying much) and I have bought so many cookbooks that just sit on the shelf, I'm hesitant to order another one.

What's special about this one Jason, if you don't mind me asking.....?

it's eleveated roots food. lots of southern influence. a vast range of dishes. it has a fantastic section on pickling and preserving. i really like sean.

before you drop $25 on the book, if you have netflix, check out the first half of season 2 that he hosted. that will give you a feel for his stuff.

i know what you mean about cookbooks that just sit on the shelf. i have one of those of my own. many i will get into in time and some i use currently and often.

at first glance, this seems like it will be more helpful to me than a lot of books i already have. books like how to make sushi, charcuterie, bread books....all those have collected dust to date, but i'm sure that will change as the kids get older and i have more "free time".

it's eleveated roots food. lots of southern influence. a vast range of dishes. it has a fantastic section on pickling and preserving. i really like sean.

before you drop $25 on the book, if you have netflix, check out the first half of season 2 that he hosted. that will give you a feel for his stuff.

i know what you mean about cookbooks that just sit on the shelf. i have one of those of my own. many i will get into in time and some i use currently and often.

at first glance, this seems like it will be more helpful to me than a lot of books i already have. books like how to make sushi, charcuterie, bread books....all those have collected dust to date, but i'm sure that will change as the kids get older and i have more "free time".

Yeah I don't often use cookbooks to cook from. I'm sometimes inspired by them, but I prefer to cook "freestyle" usually anyway.

I do have some recipes that I use as staples, like a pizza dough recipe from Jamie Oliver's book (which I really dig). I love Polcyn's "Charcuterie" mostly because of the history and insight into how curing and preserving works. I have used a couple of the recipes from there more than once and plan to stick with them.

I don't have Netflix. Can I find some of his stuff on YouTube perhaps? What network were the shows on? Maybe I can find some of it through their site?

Sounds like my kind of book. I like APL's book, for instance, not because of the recipes, but because of his narrative. Is there a lot of stuff like that in there or is it strictly recipes?

Never mind....I found a lot of stuff on YouTube. I'll check it out.

Yeah I don't often use cookbooks to cook from. I'm sometimes inspired by them, but I prefer to cook "freestyle" usually anyway.

I do have some recipes that I use as staples, like a pizza dough recipe from Jamie Oliver's book (which I really dig). I love Polcyn's "Charcuterie" mostly because of the history and insight into how curing and preserving works. I have used a couple of the recipes from there more than once and plan to stick with them.

I don't have Netflix. Can I find some of his stuff on YouTube perhaps? What network were the shows on? Maybe I can find some of it through their site?

Sounds like my kind of book. I like APL's book, for instance, not because of the recipes, but because of his narrative. Is there a lot of stuff like that in there or is it strictly recipes?

there is a lot of narrative in it. lots of recipes, but lots of narrative as well.

i just looked at the amazon preview, and it's a pretty good intro and shows the layout of the book real well.

Ummm, yeah.....I just watched several videos, one of which was where he cooked chicken & dumplings with his mom.

SOLD!

Thanks for the recommendation brother!

Ummm, yeah.....I just watched several videos, one of which was where he cooked chicken & dumplings with his mom.

SOLD!

Thanks for the recommendation brother!

that one is pretty great. i did the fried okra a couple weeks ago. super simple, but sometimes simple is better.

that one is pretty great. i did the fried okra a couple weeks ago. super simple, but sometimes simple is better.

Yep. I'm finding that myself. Some of my best stuff has less than 5 ingredients in it, like bread and soups. It's amazing the varieties you can have with the basic stuff.

I did a scratch potato soup last week that was killer and it only had stock, potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, cream and S&P (if I remember).

Luckily, I live in a town where I can taste his creations all the time!:becky:

His talent as a chef is unbelievable!
Jealous, I have seen him cook, seen his food, read his recipes...but, never gotten to taste the food

Sean Brock is a killer chef, who turned away from being 'all about the technique and the celebrity' and chooses to cook in the region and culture that he was raised in, with great skills and knowledge from both tradition and culinary worlds. I admire his willingness to cut his own path, and to adhere to his roots, while bringing in other influences.

It would be worth the price of the book, just to have one reference on how you can do that kind of cooking

Sean Brock is a killer chef, who turned away from being 'all about the technique and the celebrity' and chooses to cook in the region and culture that he was raised in, with great skills and knowledge from both tradition and culinary worlds. I admire his willingness to cut his own path, and to adhere to his roots, while bringing in other influences.

It would be worth the price of the book, just to have one reference on how you can do that kind of cooking

amazon has the hardback for like $25 on a $40 cover price.

Back