I can possibly see it being more durable in terms of handling the drum (hits, scuffs, etc.), but I don't know that there are any substantial benefits in terms of withstanding the temps you'll see while smoking.

The stuff is kind of expensive, too. Something like $10/can, right? You'll need at LEAST two cans of the stuff, if not a third. That quickly starts getting you right back in to powdercoating territory. I know I've mentioned that solution before. Have you considered looking for a place? There should be a number of options in Houston.

I've trolled this thread for the last 2 months and built my first UDS. I am hooked. Very happy with the way it turned out. Did my seasoning last night and the first smoke will happen this Sunday. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, you saved me many headaches.....

Josh

Attachments

• 20140924_205609.jpg
    20140924_205609.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 940
Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.
You seriously need to rethink this relationship, nothing off the bone...

Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.

Some of them Veggie Eaters Smoke ToeFoo.......

Polyurethane Bedliner as UDS Coating- Danger!

Anyone tried to use the spray on Bedliner for their uds? I don't know what kind of temps it's rated for, but I think I would like it better than paint.

Probably not a good idea! If polyurethane burns it generates hydrogen cyanide gas.

I've seen some drums use exhaust pipes for their lid exhaust. I have 2" exhaust from a Harley. Should I use only 1 or can I use 2. If I use 2, should I limit the size of the whole in the drum lid?

thanks,
Mike

Read the whole thing. Thanks to all for the 5 plus years of tips.

Love the thread. I have been cooking on a standard uds for years now with a bbq guru attached to it. I absolutely love it. I have build and sold probably 10 or so. I recently decided to make one for my cousin for his birthday. His was a little different. He has been in love with this t shaped uds that he saw years back. Well, this is how it turned out. Let me know what you think. I have a bunch of pictures of the build if anyone would like more info on how it was built.

Attachments

• 20141019_130247.jpg
    20141019_130247.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 746
Kaptain Kadian - Nothing ugly about that one. One day I plan on building one like that. It looks like a rib cooking machine. How much space between each rack?

Also, where do you get the lid/door handles from?

My cousin is a big rib cook guy. They are his favorite to cook. I think he will be able to get around 12 racks of spares on there. He can also pull out the middle rack to cook briskets and pork butts. There is 3.5 inches between each rack. I used some welders magnets to space them. Worked like a charm. He seasoned it last night and is cooking for the 1st time this weekend.

Missed the 2nd question. I got the springs off of Amazon and made the plates out of some steel I had laying around. I bought some full thread rod and cut it to length and attached it with lock nuts

30 gal build

Wow-I am only 55 pages into this thread, and have gone through many others by some such as norco and n8man, and have learned so much. Did my burn out last week on a 30 gallon drum-cleaned it in and out like a charm. Drilled 4X 7/8 holes 2" oc from the bottom, and the amount of ash that was left at the end of my burnout was nearly nothing-super efficient. Lots of wire brushing on tap for today, drill for rack supports, and prep for paint tomorrow. Thanks all for the help, and will def. post images when I'm done. Now back to page 56!

Love the thread. I have been cooking on a standard uds for years now with a bbq guru attached to it. I absolutely love it. I have build and sold probably 10 or so. I recently decided to make one for my cousin for his birthday. His was a little different. He has been in love with this t shaped uds that he saw years back. Well, this is how it turned out. Let me know what you think. I have a bunch of pictures of the build if anyone would like more info on how it was built.

I would love to build one like that! where could i see the build pics, etc?
That thing looks awesome.

Looks Awesome!!! Any and all info on how to build one of these would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 drums sitting in my backyard waiting to be used!

I have been wanting to buy a new offset smoker for a few years now, my older ones were more than I could handle and were not practical with my low usage; they were both built for competitions. I was attempting to build an offset drum smoker when I found this thread and I must say THANK YOU to the Brethren. I built my smoker with leftover parts I found at work and my only purchase was a thermometer! My first instinct was to over build it, welded basket, fancy handles, dampers, diffusers, etc... but I stayed true to the ugly nature of the beast and knocked this thing out on less than an hour. It was burned in last weekend with oak, charcoal, and whatever else I could find. While the fire was raging I coated the inside with lots of cooking oil, and hours later after it has calmed down I threw a 2lb brick of lard on the coals and watched the new blaze erupt. So I played with the damper and valves and then over the weekend I had my halloween treats ribs and tenderloin! love this thing.

1Eyeqv0EUA

1Eyeqv0EUA

1Eyeqv0EUA

1Eyeqv0EUA

e66W09Cvhf

e66W09Cvhf

Back