DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Continued from my Seared Fresh Tuna thread.

Now I cleaned the Dorado. (Also known as Mahi Mahi but in Mexico they are call Dorado)
Here are a few pics.

I started out by wheeling my big gasser over to hang over the grass. (I didn’t want the blood to be dripping on my patio) Brought out the cutting board and any knives that I thought I might need. (I sharpened them first as sharp knives are essential for this process)

Took the ice bags off the fish and the Dorado out of the ice chest.

If you don’t want to know how to cut the fillets off a Dorado then you can skip the next batch of photos.

It’s much like cutting up the tuna. Start by making the first cut starting just in back of the eyes and cut around the pectoral fin and then back towards the head in a lazy “V” shape.

Now cut along the dorsal fin all the way down to the tail.

Now cut back up the underside along the fins all the way to the first cut. Try to avoid the stomach as there is nasty such in there.

Now grab hold of the skin and pull it back all the way to the tail and cut it off. (You may have to get it started with the knife before you can grab it)

Now cut along the blood line in the middle.

As Dorado are so thin I was careful not to cut too deep on the initial cut along the dorsal fin. If you cut to deep the first time the meat can come loose when you rip the skin off.

Once your deep enough along the dorsal fin the top fillet should be able to be pulled out by gently sliding your fingers along the dorsal fin and spine.

Now I cut out any residual blood line and cut it in half so it will fit in a gallon zip-lock bag.

Now for the bottom fillet you repeat the above process. Unfortunately the bottom is much harder as there are bones you have to cut out of it.

And now repeat this on the other side.

Now I took some of the fillets and cut them to size. Sprinkled on a generous amount of Tajin seasoning (thanks Jack) and placed them on the kamado. It was approximately 400 degrees. I let them go for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. (You don’t want to overcook them)

Cut the pieces up into taco size pieces.

And made one of the best fish tacos I’ve ever had. (Fresh tortillas, fresh Dorado, fresh cut cabbage, fresh Pico de Gallo, Mexican cheese, White sauce and Tapatio Hot sauce )

Oh Yum! :becky:

MooseLikes_zps5f21f484.jpg

Looks great on the grill AND on the tortilla!
Do you leave a hooked Dorado in the water near the boat
to attract others? That's what we do offshore N.C.
How far off do you have to go?
I also spy some yellowfin - nice catch!

I swear your dinner looks just like mine did Saturday night. I went deep sea fishing in the Atlantic in august. Caught about 15 of those jokers, except we call them dolphin. That gets the kids riled up.

I still have about 20 lbs in my freezer. About the best fish you can eat, fun fight and gorgeous. perfect for tacos.

You sure that tuna was in regulation??

Looks awesome.

Looks great on the grill AND on the tortilla!
Do you leave a hooked Dorado in the water near the boat
to attract others? That's what we do offshore N.C.
How far off do you have to go?
I also spy some yellowfin - nice catch!
Thanks. They went out 41 miles. Almost to the 390 spot in Mexican waters.

I swear your dinner looks just like mine did Saturday night. I went deep sea fishing in the Atlantic in august. Caught about 15 of those jokers, except we call them dolphin. That gets the kids riled up.

I still have about 20 lbs in my freezer. About the best fish you can eat, fun fight and gorgeous. perfect for tacos.

You sure that tuna was in regulation??

Looks awesome.
Thanks. The Yellow Fin was caught in Mexican water so there is no size limit. It was approx. 22 lbs.

Now that is getting it done. It looks great from beginning to end. Thanks for sharing.

Back